"Timia: beautiful oasis in the Aiir Mountains" Timia by Bonobo2005

Timia Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 65 photos

Why To Timia?

A young boy introduced me that Wednesday afternoon to a friendly middle aged man called Moussa Touboulou, a Tuareg man and guide. I was orientating for an excursion out of Agadez, but there were no others looking for sharing a vehicle. Ok, there were some travellers around, but Thursday next week would be the start of the Cure Salee Festival in Ingall. There was no time for a big trip in the isolated A?r Mountains or Tenere Desert.

The day before I had met a Japanese backpacker, who told me about a place called Timia, which was described in his Japanese Guidebook. I had never heard of it before. Later I would learn that Timia was quite a remote and little but important oasis in the A?r Mountains, some 240 km away from Agadez. Its cascade is usually the first (or last) advertised highlight on regular tour group itineraries in the region.

Now I thought Timia would be a feasible destination; which I would hope to reach by a ride on the occasional truck that's going out there to collect market trade.

Moussa and I were having tea while he convinced me of his outstanding reputation (since 1966) and I explained him my plans. He spoke only little English and I even less French, but we managed to communicate somehow. Although it originally was my intention to try to reach Timia without a guide, Moussa said it would be harder than I expected with my few words French, the lack of private transportation, accommodation and supplies. Moreover he said it was not even permitted for tourists to go there without a local guide and special permission from local authorities (but I didn't verify if this is true).

The Deal

Next morning I revisited Moussa's difficult to find house in the maze of alleys of the Agadez' Vieux Quartier. He had found out that soon a truck would leave to a place called Tabelot, some 180 km. from Agadez and 50 km. from Timia, situated at the foot of Nigers highest mountain range (highest peak 2022m.). "There", he said, "I have friend with camel". After two or three days by camel we were supposed to reach Timia. Then, we had to be just lucky to find transportation back to Agadez along the main piste. But he expected that many people from Timia wanted to attend the festival in Ingall too, and so he expected a truck to depart. Still, it would be very uncertain if I could reach the festival in time.

We discussed the price and agreed on 20.000cfa (EUR 30) /day everything included. For both of us a good deal I thought. Together we went to the market to order a tailor made desert outfit for me (complete from 8000cfa), to buy a prayer annex sleeping mat (2000cfa) and gifts like tea and medicines for people we would meet on the way (2000cfa). The outfit would be ready tomorrow by noon. Moussa expected the truck to leave later in the afternoon.

Departure

On Friday morning at 10am, Moussa came to find me in Hotel Agreboun. "Hurry", he said, "truck go, come to my house after 1 hour!". All right!! I packed some stuff, checked out and jumped on the back of a mototaxi that Moussa had arranged to wait for me. By the time I reached his house he was already there. The desert outfit was ready and the permits supplied. The mototaxi drove me to the Tabelot lorry park at the edge of Agadez, while Moussa did the trip several times transporting our supplies for at least 5 days in stages.

A full loaded converted French army vehicle with heavy bags of onions on the back was just emptied. Strong men dropped the big bags here, and loaded the truck again with barrels of petrol and supplies for the rural markets. After 3 hours of waiting we left. Moussa had spent extra money to buy the cabin seats, while some 6 other passengers and 3 truck assistants were suffering in the open back. We were on our way to another adventure?!

Eventually the itinerary turned out to be:
Day 1:
Day 6:
Morning in Timia
4 hours by Toyota 4WD with German tour group, bushcamp;
Day7:
8 hours by Toyoto 4WD with German tour group to Agadez.

• Last visit to Timia: Sep 2003
  • Intro Updated Feb 26, 2004

• Paris92's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2011 at 2:20 PM

This is just a great page and so interesting! Well done on your Barney nomination!

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2008 at 8:53 AM

Maybe the best page ever on VT. So happy I found it.

• aemilys's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2007 at 4:33 PM

Magnificent, thanks

• LBKesner's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2006 at 4:08 PM

Beautiful pictures!

• JuraidahJ's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2005 at 2:47 AM

Wow... very interesting pages on Africa... sure will keep me coming back . Thanks for sharing. hope to visit Africa one day... : )

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2005 at 1:37 PM

superb

• Nov 5, 2004 at 6:52 AM

Iam born and live in this contry but i don`t know this area thank you for all.

• grets's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2004 at 9:41 AM

Beautiful pictures, great stories. Happy Travels :-)

• globerover's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2004 at 4:16 PM

what a great experience you had with this trip; excellently written up and great pictures; you definitively know how to travel at its best with impressions an ordinary tourist will never ever have!

• AndreSTGT's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2004 at 1:11 PM

I've said it before, and i'll say it again. Your pages are OUTSTANDING!!! Definitely the most interesting reads here on VT, let alone the fascinating pictures...

Badges & Stats in Timia