"AN ENLIGHTENING NIGHT AT DEBRE LIBANOS" Debre Libanos by Bonobo2005
Debre Libanos Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 14 photos
Back in Addis.
Despite various sightseeiing visits to small and old churches, many of them amazingly hewn out in rocks, I realised that I learned hardly anything of religion here in Ethiopia.
Then one friendly guy suggested me to experience a full service at possibly the most important monastary of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church: Debre Libanos.
The service was due to start at midnight, and so in the afternoon I took a bus to the place a couple of hours away from the capital.
I took a few hours sleep but by around 1AM I was at the church and remained there until the last prayer, by around 9 AM.
Eight hours of prayers, chants, rituals, candles and incense all amidst few hundreds of men dressed in white ropes...
Bonobo2005's Related Pages
Debre Libanos Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Debre Libanos
- 8 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Debre Libanos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Debre Libanos
Photos in Debre LibanosSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Serooskerke (Walcheren) Intro, 181 reviews, 223 photos, 5 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 85 reviews, 90 photos
- Zinder Intro, 42 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Timia Intro, 37 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 36 reviews, 38 photos
- Burma Intro, 34 reviews, 35 photos
- Santa Juliana Intro, 17 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore 1 review, 49 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Rajasthan Intro, 22 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue