"A volcano changed Goma and the life of thousands" Goma by Bonobo2005
Goma Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 21 photos
On 17/01/2002 Mt. Nyiragongo erupted, about 15 km from the town of Goma.
A more than 100 meter wide river of lava thundered down the lower slopes of the volcano, right through the town into Lake Kivu, destroying everything on it's way.
I know one can hardly refer to Goma as a tourist destination. What had happened caused a huge humanitarian crisis.
That in mind, but also obsessively curious, I visited Goma for a day and what I saw is hard to imagine but reality...
Important to say is that much of Goma is still intact and in parts a very lively town; I just concentrate here on the effects of the eruption....
I found out that only notes of 5,10 and 20 Francs are in use (read: legal) in Goma. The bigger notes carry a portrait... more travel advice
Although very few of the former Lakeside establishments remain, the walk from town towards lake following the new road... more travel advice
Bonobo2005's Related Pages
Goma Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A volcano changed Goma and the life of thousands"
- "Lava Lava Everywhere"
- "Where the earth spills fire..."
- "A Day in Eastern Congo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Goma
- Hotels in Goma
- Transportation in Goma
- Restaurants in Goma
- Shopping in Goma
- Warnings and Dangers in Goma
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Goma
- 15 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Goma?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Goma
Photos in GomaSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Serooskerke (Walcheren) Intro, 181 reviews, 223 photos, 5 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 85 reviews, 90 photos
- Zinder Intro, 42 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Timia Intro, 37 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 36 reviews, 38 photos
- Burma Intro, 34 reviews, 35 photos
- Santa Juliana Intro, 17 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore 1 review, 49 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Rajasthan Intro, 22 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue