"Berastagi: Volcanoes and Batak Karo culture" Top 5 Page for this destination Berastagi by Bonobo2005
Berastagi Travel Guide: 62 reviews and 204 photos
Berastagi, just a few hours away from Medan, came as a big and pleasant surprise to me.
After visiting the main tourist spots of Bukkittinggi, Lake Toba, Bukit Lawang and Medan, it was a relief that really NOBODY tried to overcharge or push me for almost a week. It's pleasantly cool, situated in the highlands, there's beautiful scenery with brilliant (day-)hiking options around the volcano's and villages.
Despite the numers of visitors, the local community is still enthousiastic, friendly and helpful.
The rich Karo markets are also a must and you can check out Karo architecture, although the ancient lifestyle seems to be replaced by modern standards. Some guesthouses like Wisma Sibayak are excellent places to meet other traveller's and to obtain all info you'll need.
I really enjoyed my stay so Berastagi is a place I can heartily recommend a visit !
When walking around the village of Gurusinga, suddenly the "poffertjes" man arrived on his bicycle! Poffertjes are... more travel advice
A very funny - because it's so obvious -, but sneaky trick is the donation book. While a donation of about Rp 3000... more travel advice
Bonobo2005's Related Pages
Berastagi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Berastagi: Volcanoes and Batak Karo culture"
- "Mt. Sibayak, Vulcano and tribal villages"
- "Berastagi - a bit of everything!"
- "Sharrie's Berastagi Rest & Relax"
- "berAStaGi: a HighLAnd outside Medan"
- "Home of the Berastagi-fruit"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Berastagi
- Hotels in Berastagi
- Transportation in Berastagi
- Nightlife in Berastagi
- Shopping in Berastagi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Berastagi
- 18 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Berastagi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Berastagi
Photos in BerastagiSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Serooskerke (Walcheren) Intro, 181 reviews, 223 photos, 5 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 85 reviews, 90 photos
- Zinder Intro, 42 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Timia Intro, 37 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 36 reviews, 38 photos
- Myanmar (Burma) Intro, 34 reviews, 35 photos
- Santa Juliana Intro, 17 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore 1 review, 49 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Rajasthan Intro, 22 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue