"Berastagi: Volcanoes and Batak Karo culture" Top 5 Page for this destination Berastagi by Bonobo2005

Berastagi Travel Guide: 62 reviews and 204 photos

Berastagi, just a few hours away from Medan, came as a big and pleasant surprise to me.

After visiting the main tourist spots of Bukkittinggi, Lake Toba, Bukit Lawang and Medan, it was a relief that really NOBODY tried to overcharge or push me for almost a week. It's pleasantly cool, situated in the highlands, there's beautiful scenery with brilliant (day-)hiking options around the volcano's and villages.

Despite the numers of visitors, the local community is still enthousiastic, friendly and helpful.
The rich Karo markets are also a must and you can check out Karo architecture, although the ancient lifestyle seems to be replaced by modern standards. Some guesthouses like Wisma Sibayak are excellent places to meet other traveller's and to obtain all info you'll need.

I really enjoyed my stay so Berastagi is a place I can heartily recommend a visit !

• Last visit to Berastagi: Jul 2002
  • Intro Updated Jul 15, 2003

• ExGuyParis's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2006 at 7:51 AM

I love your "lunch on the top of the world" photo. Your excellent pictures and descriptions really offer a sense of the spirit of this place. Great page!

• Jun 16, 2005 at 7:28 AM

i like the volcanoes photos ,they are looks amazing

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2004 at 7:32 PM

A very entertaining page with great views into everyday life here! Whew, fantatic views from atop Mt. Sinabung - what a reward for the climb! Being right down into Sibayak crater would be mind-altering too!!

• globerover's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2004 at 2:34 AM

it is obvious that you know how to travel, in particular off the beaten tourist paths; most useful tips and some stunning pictures; btw the donation book with added "0"s reminds me of the Parmalat book-keeping :-)))

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2003 at 1:34 PM

I've seen those Rip-off donation books a few times myself! It's too bad about the bus experience! I had some fun experiences with Betul Nut chewing old women! LOL Another Exciting page!!

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2003 at 3:47 AM

U know what, I've been here countless times, but never to G. Sinabung! Looks fascinating!

• daddygila's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2003 at 3:04 PM

I agree with your impressions of Berastagi. great cool little town. I also jumped off in Dokan. Brought back memories.

• Canadienne's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2003 at 11:07 AM

I wasn't familiar with Berastagi before. . .this is a great introduction. :-) Those school kids are adorable.

• funkymama's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2002 at 3:00 AM

Great page and pix about this wonderful country.

• Irine_29's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2002 at 2:24 AM

again, enjoyable and precise reading for a not so touristic part of Indonesia. lovely cow photo :-)

Badges & Stats in Berastagi

Have you been to Berastagi?

Latest Activity in Berastagi