Seattle Tourist Trap Tips by davequ Top 5 Page for this destination
Seattle Tourist Traps: 67 reviews and 55 photos
I brushed out some of the ugly wires
Not really that much of a tourist trap, but I couldn't in good conscience put it under "things to do" either.
For me, you hear about Pike Place, you go there and check it out once, and you can say:
"been there... done that" without being mean-spirited about it.
Unique Suggestions: Some really good and fun places just off Pike Place Market if you walk Post Alley.
and you're nuts if you put up with all the touristy stuff @ Pike Place
and miss the amazingly good Piroshky Russian Bakery apple bakery roll.
Fun Alternatives: Pink Door in itself is reason enough to check out Post Alley by Pike Place.
Yep, I agree, one waste of my money a few years ago ($16 now, $20 for a day/night ticket) was a trip to the top of the Space Needle.
At the top there was a small lounge / restaurant with windows and you can walk around a deck outside. There are complimentary telescopes for checking the 360deg view. Maybe I'm a scrooge but I didn't think it was worth it.
My other complaint is there are not enough nor large enough elevators, so due to the crowds, you will probably spend more time waiting around to go up than you will at the top.
Unique Suggestions: Hey what the hell, you KNOW yer' gonna' do it anyway - everybody does.
If you've got the $16 ($8 for kids 13 & under - kids under 3 free) to blow and you don't mind waiting for an elevator, go for it.
All the info and a webcam at the website here
I owe the title of this tip to my old French-Canadian gardner pal, Gaston (rip).
When informed on Monday morning July 21, 1969 that astronauts had just landed on the moon, his so-typical reply was:
"mon dieu, how stupid - ze moon - she is to look at....... not to go up zere!!"
funny thing is, I feel the same way about the Eiffel Tower ...
Fun Alternatives: If you can swing it, stay in the Westin Hotel downtown in the North Tower (any high-floor room in North tower with a "30," eg. room 4330, 4430, 4530 etc. etc.).
That way you get to see the same view the Space Needle has, PLUS the needle is in it, along with the Olympic range, Elliott Bay, Puget Sound, etc.
More Reviews (59)
- See All A Juke Joint under the viaduct
- See All Great location Belltown Apt Downtown
- See All Good tasting Chowder by South Lake Union
- See All Seattle Aquarium
- See All Don't Drive Alone During Rush Hour
- See All Drive up to Snoqualmie Falls
davequ's Related Pages
Seattle Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The famous Space Needle in Seattle"
- ") @ L was great!"
- "Emerald City of the Northwest"
- "It's not always raining in Seattle"
- "Never Sip-less in Seattle"
- "A Great Place to Live"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Seattle
- Hotels in Seattle
- Transportation in Seattle
- Nightlife in Seattle
- Restaurants in Seattle
- Shopping in Seattle
- Warnings and Dangers in Seattle
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Seattle
- 61 Reviews
- 99 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Seattle?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Seattle
Photos in SeattleSee All Photos (99)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 132 reviews, 384 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 63 reviews, 234 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 86 reviews, 190 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 57 reviews, 117 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 61 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laguna Beach Intro, 61 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 50 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oakland Intro, 26 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riomaggiore Intro, 18 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber Intro, 19 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
No friends yet.
- Space Needle- 88 Reviews, 153 Photos
- Pike Place Market- 146 Reviews, 220 Photos
- Pioneer Square- 60 Reviews, 90 Photos
- Downtown Seattle- 45 Reviews, 77 Photos
- Ballard Locks- 24 Reviews, 54 Photos
- Experience Music Project - EMP- 45 Reviews, 66 Photos
- Fremont District- 14 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Museum Of Flight- 24 Reviews, 68 Photos
- Boeing Factory- 13 Reviews, 20 Photos
- International District- 8 Reviews, 24 Photos
See All Seattle Things to Do