Oakland Off The Beaten Path Tips by davequ Top 5 Page for this destination
Oakland Off The Beaten Path: 14 reviews and 34 photos
If you're going to be in East Bay and you like good cuisine, head for Berkeley.
Chez Panisse is the world reknowned Alice Waters restaurant in Berkeley.
Expensive but worth it. Make SURE you have a reservation, even for the Café.
A typical menu entry below (try not to drool..):
Wednesday, March 9 $65
Roasted line-caught striped bass with black olives and fennel oil
Potato cream soup with California caviar and fried leeks
Grilled duck breast with kumquat and tangelo sauce; white and green asparagus
ragoût with wild mushrooms and green garlic
Bittersweet, white, and milk chocolate ice creams with orange-almond tuiles
All the ingredients are the freshest, cleanest produce and protein available in Northern California. Alice Waters is in my opinion the Mother Theresa of good cuisine.
1517 Shattuck Avenue Berkeley, California 94709 right smack in the middle of Berkeley, but a little "off the path" for Oakland.
More than a restarant, it is an experience.
And don't forget to buy (and if you are lucky, have Alice sign) one of the excellent David Lance Goines posters.
Phone: Café(510) 548-5049,Rest-548-5525
"Bonasera... Bonasera... "
Not really off the beaten path, but I really enjoyed a day of driving north from Oakland up through Napa Valley and on towards Mendocino.
I always take I80 North to Hwy 29 at Vallejo, then north on 29 through Napa and Rutherford, then west on 175 over to Fetzer Vineyard. 101 then gets you back down through Petaluma, Golden Gate and over the bay bridge to Oakland again.
It is a beautiful drive.
Locals will laugh as they know better places, but as a tourist I always stop at Niebaum-Coppola (used to be Inglenook) in Rutherford, then at Fetzer in Hopland and buy some Reserve.
More Reviews (24)
- See All For the view from Berkeley Marina
- See All The Embarcadero Freight Train
- See All Oaklands Great Venue for Entertainment
- See All Oakland from Space
davequ's Related Pages
Oakland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oakland: the other side of the Bay"
- "Surprising Oaktown"
- "Rough and Tumble... Oakland"
- "Oakland: Friends and Baseball"
- "Oakland: San Francisco's Neighbor"
- "City of Players"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oakland
- Hotels in Oakland
- Transportation in Oakland
- Nightlife in Oakland
- Restaurants in Oakland
- Shopping in Oakland
- Warnings and Dangers in Oakland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oakland
- 26 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Oakland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oakland
- Posted in Travel Paris Forum "Re: Paris by Night--Rooftop view"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Dim sum in Oakland Chinatown"
- Commented on one of GenuinelyCurious's Oakland travel pages
- updated a Oakland Travel Page "Oakland: the other side of the Bay"
- Wrote a Review For the view from Berkeley Marina in Oakland Restaurants
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 132 reviews, 384 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 63 reviews, 234 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 86 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 57 reviews, 117 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 61 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laguna Beach Intro, 61 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 50 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oakland Intro, 26 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riomaggiore Intro, 18 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber Intro, 19 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
No friends yet.
- Lake Merritt- 10 Reviews, 6 Photos
- Chinatown- 5 Reviews, 7 Photos
- Sports / Coliseum Complex- 4 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Architecture- 7 Reviews, 22 Photos
- Parks / Squares- 10 Reviews, 25 Photos
- USS Potomac- 1 Review, 5 Photos
- Chabot Planetarium- 1 Review, 3 Photos
- Combined Suggestions- 4 Reviews, 1 Photo
- Oakland Museum of California- 1 Review, 5 Photos
- Theaters / Cinema- 2 Reviews, 3 Photos
See All Oakland Things to Do