Oakland Nightlife Tips by davequ Top 5 Page for this destination
Oakland Nightlife: 19 reviews and 23 photos
Really a strange little bar.
I think it is worth checking out just for the vibe / ambience.
Some say it was a local "pickup joint.
They serve good quality food - lunch and dinner.
Decor is described as "turn of the century."
A ton of bizarre knickknacks & "tiffany clutter" all over the inside, but it has something.... (je ne sais quoi?)
Tons of stories and history. Legend has it was once a bordello (it feels like it, true or not).
SF Gate describes it as "very refreshing" and I have to agree.
If nothing else, stop in for a drink some evening around 9-10pm and check it out.
I do like this place, & I'm not sure why.
Dress Code: Casual evening to ??? you got me... eccentric perhaps
Check out the website for lots more info.
They now also have a MySpace page
Address: 201 Washington St, Oakland, CA
Directions: By Jack London Square - corner of 2nd and Washington. Here are complete DIRECTIONS
Phone: (510) 465-4996
Theme: Eating and Drinking
my "illegal" foto of Pat Martino quartet - 3/3/05
If you like jazz, Yoshi's (along with my favorite Dimitriou's Jazz Alley in Seattle ) is one of the better jazz clubs in the United States.
Decent sound and lights, top jazz artists in the world, and to top it off, tasty sushi you can eat either in the restaurant section, OR brought to you in the club while you watch the artists perform.
If you go to Oakland and you miss Yoshi's, you need to try it again.
YAHOO! - now Yoshi's has a club in the City at 1330 Fillmore at Eddy
Dress Code: None that I know of. It's a dark jazz club.
I suppose you can dress up a little if you're going to eat in the restaurant vs the club.
by the way, they do not let you take fotos, even without flash (??)
(I can understand how flash fotos can break your concentration.
I played music for years, got "flashed" damn near a million times & it never stopped me from playing. But they will "jump" you even if you are correctly and discretely taking professional non-flash fotos.
What's up with that? and all bands need pub..... what bs... boooo!!)
Address: 510 Embarcadero West, Oakland, CA 94607
Directions: One the embarcadero by the water in / by Jack London Square
Other Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: (510) 238-9200
If you're in town on business but you don't feel like clubbin' or killing brain cells, right next to Yoshi's and all the restaurants is the Jack London Theater.
Address: 100 Washington St Oakland, CA 94607
Directions: Right next to Jack London Square, corner of Embarcadero and Washington
Not for the squeamish, this place is for late night crawls when you are up for anything. They have an excellent juke box. The regulars do NOT like having their picture taken.
Almost a dive, lots of personality, don't make extended eye contact with local patrons unless your intention is to know them personally.
I will not get into specifics of all the strange things that have happened to me & friends / business associates in this truly local bar just off Jack London Square. Just be prepared for anything from boredom to striptease to fistfights (not necessarily in that order)
Dress Code: If you dress up, you're asking for it.
This is where you play pool, drink, and try to stay out of trouble.
Address: 444 Embarcadero West, Oakland
Directions: Right next to Jack London Square on the embarcadero. (watch out for the train).
Theme: People Watching
Thanks 2 sftours for the photo- mine got "munched"
Thankfully it seems some US cities were smart enough not to demolish all their classic old theatres. Beautiful Paramount theatres are in lots of different cities.
Denver has one, Seattle has one, and Oakland has one. These places are wonderful architectural eye candy, and excellent venues for music, movies, and art.
The Oakland Paramount art deco interior and exterior are beautiful, and you can see a classic film, hear a classical concert by the Oakland symphony, catch a standup comic, then experience world class jazz or rock (from Bob Dylan to Pat Metheny), all in the same week.
Ambience and acoustics, like the one in Denver, are in my opinion outstanding.
If you're going to Oakland, always check the website first to see what's going on at the Paramount.
Photo: For some reason, the digital camera demons munched my nite shot of the paramount, so thanks to sftours for their copy. I return in April and will give it another shot.
Dress Code: Depends on the venue.
Address: 2025 Broadway Downtown
Directions: 2025 Broadway between 20th and 21st Streets in downtown Oakland
More Reviews (21)
- See All For the view from Berkeley Marina
- See All Take 29 up into Napa and do some wine...
- See All The Embarcadero Freight Train
- See All Oakland from Space
davequ's Related Pages
Oakland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oakland: the other side of the Bay"
- "Surprising Oaktown"
- "Rough and Tumble... Oakland"
- "Oakland: Friends and Baseball"
- "Oakland: San Francisco's Neighbor"
- "City of Players"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oakland
- Hotels in Oakland
- Transportation in Oakland
- Nightlife in Oakland
- Restaurants in Oakland
- Shopping in Oakland
- Warnings and Dangers in Oakland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oakland
- 26 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Oakland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oakland
- Posted in Travel Paris Forum "Re: Paris by Night--Rooftop view"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Dim sum in Oakland Chinatown"
- Commented on one of GenuinelyCurious's Oakland travel pages
- updated a Oakland Travel Page "Oakland: the other side of the Bay"
- Wrote a Review For the view from Berkeley Marina in Oakland Restaurants
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 132 reviews, 384 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 63 reviews, 234 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 86 reviews, 190 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 57 reviews, 117 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 61 reviews, 108 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laguna Beach Intro, 61 reviews, 85 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 50 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oakland Intro, 26 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riomaggiore Intro, 18 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber Intro, 19 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
No friends yet.
- Lake Merritt- 9 Reviews, 6 Photos
- Sports / Coliseum Complex- 4 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Architecture- 7 Reviews, 22 Photos
- Chinatown- 5 Reviews, 7 Photos
- Parks / Squares- 10 Reviews, 25 Photos
- Combined Suggestions- 4 Reviews, 1 Photos
- Chabot Planetarium- 1 Reviews, 3 Photos
- Oakland Museum of California- 1 Reviews, 5 Photos
- USS Potomac- 1 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Theaters / Cinema- 2 Reviews, 3 Photos
See All Oakland Things to Do