"Oakland: the other side of the Bay" Top 5 Page for this destination Oakland by davequ

Oakland Travel Guide: 245 reviews and 513 photos

Downtown

I've been visiting Oakland for almost 10 years on short, job-related "in&outs".

Oakland and the east bay in my opinion are underated and sometimes get a bad rap.

Granted I'm just a business traveler that spends most of my time in touristy Jack London Square and downtown Oakland & Chinatown.

But I really like Oakland and the east Bay for lots of things:
music, food, architecture, and its distinctive attitude & character.

Jack London Square

Is where I spend a lot of time hanging out, having dinner, etc.

It is different from the rest of town: it's touristy but it has personality.

J.L. square has some good places to dine, drink, shop, and listen to music - sort of a quiet "safe haven" from some of Oaklands busier & tougher streets.

Across the bay from the City

One of the reasons I like Oakland is you get a good look at SF across the bay from a lot of different spots:
the docks @ Jack London Square; Berkeley, etc.

With no offense intended to anyone from Oakland / East Bay - lots of people, myself included enjoy spending extended time on the docks and piers wistfully looking across the water at the skyline & city of San Francisco.

I took this one from the 20th floor of the Marriott in downtown Oakland.

• Pros:Architecture; Jack London Sq; food; music
  • Cons:watch yourself if alone at night in some downtn parts
  • In a nutshell:Oakland's got the Stroke... (Tower of Power)
  • Last visit to Oakland: Mar 2005
  • Intro Updated Jul 5, 2007

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2008 at 4:15 PM

When I lived in Berkeley we used to look down our noses at Oakland, and never went there except to demonstrate against something. But if I ever go there again I'll find the Waterfront Plaza at night and watch them load a huge cargo freighter.

• GenuinelyCurious's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2008 at 4:04 PM

Nice overview of some key highlights.

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2007 at 8:08 PM

excellent page on a less touristy city. i always wanted to know about oakland - where is it located and how does it look. when i visited ur pages i saw that you have page on this city. so i came, i traveled and i liked it.

• vesna04's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2005 at 11:51 AM

very accurate and to the point tips, well done

• Callavetta's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2005 at 8:06 PM

Great tips! You might want to move attending a Raiders game to "warnings and dangers". :-)

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2005 at 1:32 PM

Excellent page on this famous suburb of SF! I know better Berkeley than Oakland as I went several summers as an exchange student in a berkeley family. BTW, you panoramic picure of the bay is fantastic!

davequ

“♫♫ ... "What this world needs is a good $2 room and a good $2 broom" ... ♫♫ © Don Van Vliet”

Badges & Stats in Oakland

Have you been to Oakland?

Friends