"Oakland: the other side of the Bay" Top 5 Page for this destination Oakland by davequ
Oakland Travel Guide: 249 reviews and 517 photos
I've been visiting Oakland for almost 10 years on short, job-related "in&outs".
Oakland and the east bay in my opinion are underated and sometimes get a bad rap.
Granted I'm just a business traveler that spends most of my time in touristy Jack London Square and downtown Oakland & Chinatown.
But I really like Oakland and the east Bay for lots of things:
music, food, architecture, and its distinctive attitude & character.
Is where I spend a lot of time hanging out, having dinner, etc.
It is different from the rest of town: it's touristy but it has personality.
J.L. square has some good places to dine, drink, shop, and listen to music - sort of a quiet "safe haven" from some of Oaklands busier & tougher streets.
One of the reasons I like Oakland is you get a good look at SF across the bay from a lot of different spots:
the docks @ Jack London Square; Berkeley, etc.
With no offense intended to anyone from Oakland / East Bay - lots of people, myself included enjoy spending extended time on the docks and piers wistfully looking across the water at the skyline & city of San Francisco.
I took this one from the 20th floor of the Marriott in downtown Oakland.
- Pros:Architecture; Jack London Sq; food; music
- Cons:watch yourself if alone at night in some downtn parts
- In a nutshell:Oakland's got the Stroke... (Tower of Power)
It's all about the view, ambience. Good place imo if you're not from the area and want to eat while you look out at the... more travel advice
Good dim sum and lots of "Honk Kong's finest" at Restaurant Peony. This place was really worth the trip. Not cheap,... more travel advice
davequ's Related Pages
Oakland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oakland: the other side of the Bay"
- "Surprising Oaktown"
- "Rough and Tumble... Oakland"
- "Oakland: Friends and Baseball"
- "Oakland: San Francisco's Neighbor"
- "City of Players"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oakland
- Hotels in Oakland
- Transportation in Oakland
- Nightlife in Oakland
- Restaurants in Oakland
- Shopping in Oakland
- Warnings and Dangers in Oakland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oakland
- 26 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Oakland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oakland
- Posted in Travel Paris Forum "Re: Paris by Night--Rooftop view"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Dim sum in Oakland Chinatown"
- Commented on one of GenuinelyCurious's Oakland travel pages
- updated a Oakland Travel Page "Oakland: the other side of the Bay"
- Wrote a Review For the view from Berkeley Marina in Oakland Restaurants
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 132 reviews, 384 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 63 reviews, 234 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 86 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 57 reviews, 117 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 61 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laguna Beach Intro, 61 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 50 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oakland Intro, 26 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riomaggiore Intro, 18 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber Intro, 19 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
No friends yet.