"Riomaggiore" Top 5 Page for this destination Riomaggiore by davequ

Riomaggiore Travel Guide: 291 reviews and 941 photos

Hiking, sunsets, and doing nothing

Riomaggiore is the first of 5 towns north on the Italian Riviera between Pisa / La Spezia and Genova.

While it appears that Vernazza gets the lion's share of the press and kudos from travelers, I picked Riomaggiore for a home base in the Cinque Terre and was glad I did.

I stayed at an excellent hotel with an unbelieveable view from my terrace.

Cinque Terre, especially the first 4 towns from Riomaggiore to Vernazza is a good place to go to & really lay back, unwind and take a break from, silly as it sounds, a fast-paced & exciting vacation.

I chose to visit the Cinque Terre in the fall (October) after much of the summer tourism had ceased for the year.
The pace slows down, the beauty, while subtle, is everywhere. Riomaggiore was the perfect place to practice my favorite pastimes: eating; hiking; relaxing; and essentially doing nothing.
I really hope to get a chance to return to the Cinque Terre in the fall again.

Riomaggiore Harbor and cliffs

Dwellings on the cliffs at the outmost part of the harbor.

Such excellent hiking, even in town, up all the steep steps and alleys.

Cinque Terre has such beautiful sunsets

No one in their right mind misses "magic hour" and sunset in Cinque Terre, no matter what villiage you happen to be in at the time.
I only wish I had brought a higher resolution digital camera and a monster 35mm with lenses, filters and a tripod (next time I will)

Sunsets are pretty ho-hum to me, but in the Cinque Terre, they are majestic and the highlight of the day.

• Pros:Beautiful ocean and colored sky; laid back; good local food; beautiful vistas and hiking
  • Cons:Too many tourists in the summer months; go in the fall
  • In a nutshell:In the off season, Cinque Terre is fantastic, with Riomaggiore and Vernazza being my favorite towns
  • Last visit to Riomaggiore: Oct 2001
  • Intro Updated Jun 15, 2005

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2009 at 3:48 PM

You certainly have found the nice colorful sites to capture pictures. The comments enhance the village and it is a great presentation.

• jelw's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2007 at 4:51 AM

Fantastic photos! The one featured on the VT home page from your general tip is like a mystical painting. The cajones of the cliff swimmers are truly amazing. Wonderful stuff here, thanks.

• firechick's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2006 at 10:55 AM

Great hotel story and what a beautiful view.

• ivanab's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2006 at 2:57 AM

such a nice page....just to look the pictures and I already feel more relaxed.

• EllenH's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2006 at 10:11 AM

Enjoyed reading these again, you capture the essence of this place so nicely.

• dfactor's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2006 at 10:33 PM

Been to IT twice, but sadly never been to this part of IT. The sunset is magnificient.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2006 at 11:46 PM

Nice tips but really enjoyed your photography.

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2005 at 9:28 PM

grea desxription of the atmospheare, exactly what I expect from 5 terre!

• BerniShand's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2005 at 4:16 PM

oh WOW what a superb place, and excetionally good pics, I really enjoyed reading this page and its definately on my must see list now

• perfectly_zen's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2005 at 7:40 AM

Wow! Lovely pictures and great tips! I just have to go there one day.... Cheers...

davequ

“♫♫ ... "What this world needs is a good $2 room and a good $2 broom" ... ♫♫ © Don Van Vliet”

Badges & Stats in Riomaggiore

Have you been to Riomaggiore?

Latest Activity in Riomaggiore