"Riomaggiore" Top 5 Page for this destination Riomaggiore by davequ
Riomaggiore Travel Guide: 291 reviews and 941 photos
Riomaggiore is the first of 5 towns north on the Italian Riviera between Pisa / La Spezia and Genova.
While it appears that Vernazza gets the lion's share of the press and kudos from travelers, I picked Riomaggiore for a home base in the Cinque Terre and was glad I did.
I stayed at an excellent hotel with an unbelieveable view from my terrace.
Cinque Terre, especially the first 4 towns from Riomaggiore to Vernazza is a good place to go to & really lay back, unwind and take a break from, silly as it sounds, a fast-paced & exciting vacation.
I chose to visit the Cinque Terre in the fall (October) after much of the summer tourism had ceased for the year.
The pace slows down, the beauty, while subtle, is everywhere. Riomaggiore was the perfect place to practice my favorite pastimes: eating; hiking; relaxing; and essentially doing nothing.
I really hope to get a chance to return to the Cinque Terre in the fall again.
Dwellings on the cliffs at the outmost part of the harbor.
Such excellent hiking, even in town, up all the steep steps and alleys.
No one in their right mind misses "magic hour" and sunset in Cinque Terre, no matter what villiage you happen to be in at the time.
I only wish I had brought a higher resolution digital camera and a monster 35mm with lenses, filters and a tripod (next time I will)
Sunsets are pretty ho-hum to me, but in the Cinque Terre, they are majestic and the highlight of the day.
- Pros:Beautiful ocean and colored sky; laid back; good local food; beautiful vistas and hiking
- Cons:Too many tourists in the summer months; go in the fall
- In a nutshell:In the off season, Cinque Terre is fantastic, with Riomaggiore and Vernazza being my favorite towns
Don't forget to walk down to the harbor and then explore all the steps back up into town. Riomaggiore is so "vertical"... more travel advice
- Euro goes farther than plastic in...
- Bring your hiking boots and a camera
- Cinque Terre is already off the beaten...
davequ's Related Pages
Riomaggiore Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Life in the Cinque Terre"
- "The First Village of the Cinque Terre"
- "Riomaggiore - it's all about love...."
- "Cinque Terre - Riomaggiore"
- "Le Cinque Terre"
- "5 Terre"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Riomaggiore
- Hotels in Riomaggiore
- Transportation in Riomaggiore
- Nightlife in Riomaggiore
- Restaurants in Riomaggiore
- Shopping in Riomaggiore
- Warnings and Dangers in Riomaggiore
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Riomaggiore
- 18 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Riomaggiore?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Riomaggiore
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 132 reviews, 384 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 63 reviews, 234 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 86 reviews, 190 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 57 reviews, 117 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 61 reviews, 108 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laguna Beach Intro, 61 reviews, 85 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 50 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oakland Intro, 26 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riomaggiore Intro, 18 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber Intro, 19 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
No friends yet.