Arles Shopping Tips by davequ Top 5 Page for this destination
Arles Shopping: 6 reviews and 6 photos
Fruit of the Provence
I like to motor around Provence from Chateauneuf du Pape to buy local wines, but this last Sept. '03
I was fortunate enough to find this excellent wine merchant in Arles.
The proprietor Jean-Michel was what all businessmen should be: helpful, knowledgeable, kind, passionate about his product, and patient.
I bought 6 bottles of various Provence/Cotes du Rhones. (5 made it home, 1 mysteriously disappeared one night in Hotel Calendal's garden around midnight). burp....
What to buy: Surrender to Jean-Michel's recommendations. He is honest, trustworthy, and has forgotten more about Provence wine than I will ever know.
I recommend Chateauneuf du Pape in the good years (90, 95, 98, 2000) and Rasteau (thank you Lady Porteplume).
Let Jean-Michel do the rest.
What to pay: For ~150 Euros I came home with 6 bottles (minus 1) that in 2 years will be worth over $1000, if you could even find them in the correct vintages.
But that is purely mental masturbation, as I can guarantee in about 2.5 years it will all be a delicious memory.
Since I will drink it all, I suppose I will be forced to return in 2005 and buy more. Tough work I know, but somebody's gotta' do it.
Address: 3, Rue de Republique
Directions: Walk toward the Rhone from Rue de Republique. On your right just before you get to the river.
Phone: 04 90 93 41 20
Theme: Food and Drink
Market days in Arles are every Wed and Saturday.
Here is my Market Day Travelogue -(click below):
Market Day in Arles
What to buy: See travelogue above
What to pay: Many items negotiable which is half the fun
Address: Blvd de Lices
Directions: On the "south" border of the old city, Blvd de Lices between the old Ramparts and Rue Republique.
Theme: Food and Drink
More Reviews (55)
- See All Glanum ruins
- See All The garden at night serves local...
- See All Old City wall ramparts
- See All For what it is worth
- Eating on the forum
davequ's Related Pages
Arles Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Arles & Provence: Van Gogh, Wine and Roman Ruins"
- "Welcome to the ancient city of Arles!"
- "Scent of Provence"
- "The Best Tourist Site in Provence"
- "Moscow - Arles"
- "Looking for Vincent"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Arles
- Hotels in Arles
- Transportation in Arles
- Nightlife in Arles
- Restaurants in Arles
- Shopping in Arles
- Warnings and Dangers in Arles
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Arles
- 57 Reviews
- 117 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Arles?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arles
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bring your "wolf's" appetite"
- Posted in Travel Paris Forum "Re: Paris by Night--Rooftop view"
- updated a Arles Travel Page "Arles & Provence: Van Gogh, Wine and Roman Ruins"
- Commented on one of Lady_Mystique's Arles travel pages
- Wrote a Review Of course, Market Day in Arles Shopping
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 132 reviews, 384 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 63 reviews, 234 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 86 reviews, 190 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 57 reviews, 117 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 61 reviews, 108 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laguna Beach Intro, 61 reviews, 85 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 50 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oakland Intro, 26 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riomaggiore Intro, 18 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber Intro, 19 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
No friends yet.