Arles Shopping Tips by davequ Top 5 Page for this destination

Arles Shopping: 6 reviews and 6 photos

Fruit of  the Provence - Arles

Fruit of the Provence

Le Cave du Grand Sud: I always buy some local Provence Wine

I like to motor around Provence from Chateauneuf du Pape to buy local wines, but this last Sept. '03
I was fortunate enough to find this excellent wine merchant in Arles.

The proprietor Jean-Michel was what all businessmen should be: helpful, knowledgeable, kind, passionate about his product, and patient.

I bought 6 bottles of various Provence/Cotes du Rhones. (5 made it home, 1 mysteriously disappeared one night in Hotel Calendal's garden around midnight). burp....

What to buy: Surrender to Jean-Michel's recommendations. He is honest, trustworthy, and has forgotten more about Provence wine than I will ever know.

I recommend Chateauneuf du Pape in the good years (90, 95, 98, 2000) and Rasteau (thank you Lady Porteplume).

Let Jean-Michel do the rest.

What to pay: For ~150 Euros I came home with 6 bottles (minus 1) that in 2 years will be worth over $1000, if you could even find them in the correct vintages.
But that is purely mental masturbation, as I can guarantee in about 2.5 years it will all be a delicious memory.

Since I will drink it all, I suppose I will be forced to return in 2005 and buy more. Tough work I know, but somebody's gotta' do it.

Address: 3, Rue de Republique

Directions: Walk toward the Rhone from Rue de Republique. On your right just before you get to the river.

Phone: 04 90 93 41 20

Theme: Food and Drink

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Updated Aug 6, 2007
Of course, Market Day - Arles
Market Day on Blvd. de Lices: Of course, Market Day

Market days in Arles are every Wed and Saturday.

Here is my Market Day Travelogue -(click below):

Market Day in Arles

What to buy: See travelogue above

What to pay: Many items negotiable which is half the fun

Address: Blvd de Lices

Directions: On the "south" border of the old city, Blvd de Lices between the old Ramparts and Rue Republique.

Theme: Food and Drink

• Written Nov 10, 2004

davequ

“♫♫ ... "What this world needs is a good $2 room and a good $2 broom" ... ♫♫ © Don Van Vliet”

Badges & Stats in Arles