"Arles & Provence: Van Gogh, Wine and Roman Ruins" Top 5 Page for this destination Arles by davequ
Arles Travel Guide: 321 reviews and 869 photos
above: a snap with my back to the Arena facing into the heart of old Arles looking N/NW in the direction of the Rhone.
Every time I go to France, before I hit Paris, I make a 3-5 day side trip into the Provence, with Arles as a home base.
- The city of Arles & the surrounding towns in and around the Provence (Nimes, St. Remy/Glanum, Orange, Aix-en-Provence) have stunning ancient Roman architecture and ruins.
- Arles was the inspiration for many of Van Gogh's paintings, and he painted almost 200 Arles scenes.
Gauguin stayed and painted with Vincent at the "yellow house" in Arles which has been restored from bombing in WWII.
- And I love Provence food
But Arles is more than a boring history lesson / travelogue. To me, it is a great "mood"
best enjoyed by wandering the old city at all hours.
Other fun things to do in Arles/Provence:
I like to rent a car or motorcycle and drive an hour north on smaller sideroads to Chateauneuf du Pape, home of some of my favorite wine in all of France, along with many other Cotes du Rhones.
I try never to miss "Market Day" in Arles every Wednesday and Saturday. I have some Market Day fotos here:
Day and late-night (recommended) walks through the old alleys of Arles are one of my favorite things to do.
I just wander, turn randomly down each narrowing passage, and try to get lost.
There is a surprise around every corner.
One of my favorite places to sit quietly and enjoy is the Antique Theater,
just about 100 meters downhill west from the Roman Arena.
In the mid-afternoon around 14:30 it seems there is usually a lull in activity
and tourist traffic.
I like to take this time to sit near the ruins in the cool shade of the southwest corner of the theater behind the stage and let the history & surroundings sink in.
It is so peaceful.
- Pros:Sunlight, Cotes du Rhones, Roman ruins, Provence cuisine, lazy countryside drives
- Cons:a little touristy: sometimes during the day the Forum can resemble Place du Tertre
- In a nutshell:Arles is great to walk both day & night - I'm getting the urge to go back
Market days in Arles are every Wed and Saturday. Here is my Market Day Travelogue -(click below): Market Day in... more travel advice
Try a versinthe or your favorite nightime cocktail in the Hotel Calendal Garden between 9pm and midnight, then go for a... more travel advice
- See All For what it is worth
- Eating on the forum
- Things to bring
- See All Cloistered Monks on Cafe break
davequ's Related Pages
Arles Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Arles & Provence: Van Gogh, Wine and Roman Ruins"
- "Welcome to the ancient city of Arles!"
- "Scent of Provence"
- "The Best Tourist Site in Provence"
- "Moscow - Arles"
- "Looking for Vincent"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Arles
- Hotels in Arles
- Transportation in Arles
- Nightlife in Arles
- Restaurants in Arles
- Shopping in Arles
- Warnings and Dangers in Arles
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Arles
- 57 Reviews
- 117 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Arles?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arles
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 132 reviews, 384 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 63 reviews, 234 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 86 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 57 reviews, 117 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 61 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laguna Beach Intro, 61 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 50 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oakland Intro, 26 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riomaggiore Intro, 18 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber Intro, 19 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
No friends yet.