"Travel in the USA" tony248's Profile
The ice storm in February 2008 was nothing....
There are times when it's best just to leave town. February, 2009 brought the worst ice storm on record for the central U.S. Power, phones, cable TV, even cellphones out of service for hundreds of thousands of people in a 4 state area. We were lucky, out power was only out 6 days. Some people had to wait a month to get power back. And the trees! Few trees in the area were left undamaged. Think Hurricane Katrina without the water. Even travelers on the areas Interstate Highways got caught up in the trouble because there was no power to pump fuel for them. With other things to take care of, we didn't get a lot of pictures but here are a few.
Just after our power came back on, it was time to leave for our planned trip to Daytona, Florida to go to the NASCAR races. This was the best Daytona trip we have had yet!Daytona, 2009!
What a beautiful day! A few pictures around my house today. The pictures just can't convey how nasty it is outside.
My wife and I have spent most of our lives working and taking care of the family and haven't done much traveling. Well, the kids are grown and it's time for us to take a break and do some "movin' around".
I'm like a kid at a theme park when I get to some place I have wanted so much to see. I just have to see and do everything before it's time to leave. The first time I saw the ocean "live" I was amazed. Rivers at flood stage I have seen many times but the ocean held me in awe.
Oceans and beaches! White sand at Pensacola Beach. Miles long beaches at Daytona and Coco Beach. Beaches don't stay the same either. The beach at St. Augustine Beach really changed from one year to the next.
Yolonda & I take in NASCAR races when we can. The picture here is the car Casey Mears drives in the NEXTEL Cup series (2007). Her brother-in-law is in charge of public appearances for the National Guard team. And no, we don't get free tickets. Check the Daytona Page for more racing pictures from Daytona International Speedway.
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 58 Reviews
- 303 Photos
- 1 Countries
- 13 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
- tony248 and PA2AKgirl are now friends.
- Commented on sue_stone's profile page
- updated a Daytona Beach Travelogue "Daytona 2009, Cont."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Daytona 2009, Cont."
updated their Profile Page "Travel in the USA"
- Wrote a Review The point is to have fun! in Mammoth Cave National Park Favorites
- Posted in Travel Europe Forum "Re: Lodging and meal costs in..."
Top 10 Pages
- Daytona Beach Intro, 6 reviews, 44 photos, 6 travelogues
- Paducah Intro, 4 reviews, 29 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cape Canaveral Intro, 12 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mobile Intro, 4 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues
- Saint Augustine Intro, 25 photos, 3 travelogues
- Randleman Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mammoth Cave National Park Intro, 8 reviews, 14 photos
- Natural Bridge State Park Intro, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
- Saint Louis Intro, 3 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Pensacola Intro, 2 reviews, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Hotels
- 22461 Reviews - 54973 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2701 Reviews - 7925 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23317 Reviews - 48909 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Prampram Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos