"Travel in the USA" tony248's Profile

====================================================

The ice storm in February 2008 was nothing....

There are times when it's best just to leave town. February, 2009 brought the worst ice storm on record for the central U.S. Power, phones, cable TV, even cellphones out of service for hundreds of thousands of people in a 4 state area. We were lucky, out power was only out 6 days. Some people had to wait a month to get power back. And the trees! Few trees in the area were left undamaged. Think Hurricane Katrina without the water. Even travelers on the areas Interstate Highways got caught up in the trouble because there was no power to pump fuel for them. With other things to take care of, we didn't get a lot of pictures but here are a few.

Just after our power came back on, it was time to leave for our planned trip to Daytona, Florida to go to the NASCAR races. This was the best Daytona trip we have had yet!Daytona, 2009!

====================================================

February, 2008
What a beautiful day! A few pictures around my house today. The pictures just can't convey how nasty it is outside.

My wife and I have spent most of our lives working and taking care of the family and haven't done much traveling. Well, the kids are grown and it's time for us to take a break and do some "movin' around".

I'm like a kid at a theme park when I get to some place I have wanted so much to see. I just have to see and do everything before it's time to leave. The first time I saw the ocean "live" I was amazed. Rivers at flood stage I have seen many times but the ocean held me in awe.

Oceans and beaches! White sand at Pensacola Beach. Miles long beaches at Daytona and Coco Beach. Beaches don't stay the same either. The beach at St. Augustine Beach really changed from one year to the next.

========================================================

Yolonda & I take in NASCAR races when we can. The picture here is the car Casey Mears drives in the NEXTEL Cup series (2007). Her brother-in-law is in charge of public appearances for the National Guard team. And no, we don't get free tickets. Check the Daytona Page for more racing pictures from Daytona International Speedway.

• Intro Updated Mar 11, 2009

Comments

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!