"One of the 7th Natural Wonders." Rainbow Bridge National Monument by Grazina
Rainbow Bridge National Monument Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 25 photos
They say that this is Natural Sandstone bridge that was formed by wind and fridged icewater.
A boat trip to this place is a must for visitors to Glen Canyon NRA. Natural bridges, such as Rainbow, are formed by extremely rare natural events. An arid climate, a stream with good flow rates and rock like Navajo Sandstone - which is firm enough to form cliffs hundreds of feet high, yet soft enough to erode quickly - create an environment that makes the bridge unique.
Hidden deep within a long canyon near the base of Navajo Mountain, a red sandstone arch soars to a dizzying height of 290 feet above the blue waters of Lake Powell. It spans 275 feet across, is 33 feet wide, and 42 feet thick. It is the largest known natural bridge in the world; a formation the nearby Navajo people call "Nonnezoshi," a "rainbow turned to stone." Rainbow Bridge is an incredible sight to behold; a wondrous work of nature whose sheer size cannot be fully captured in photographs. Going to Lake Powell without seeing it would be like going to Paris and not seeing the Eiffel Tower: your trip just wouldn't be complete.
- Pros:Breath taking and a feeling of AWE.
- Cons:You have to take a boat there and a hike to see this so call Rainbow Bridge.
- In a nutshell:It's worth the money invested in the boat ride, and the hike to shed off the pounds.
I saw this steep cliff wall with a heart craved in by the elements of the wind, water and condition of the cold. So... more travel advice
Grazina's Related Pages
Rainbow Bridge National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rainbow Bridge NM, stone cold beautiful"
- "One of the 7th Natural Wonders."
- "6 june 2003 from page to rainbow bridge"
- "Rainbow Bridge"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rainbow Bridge National Monument
- Transportation in Rainbow Bridge National Monument
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rainbow Bridge National Monument
- 2 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Rainbow Bridge National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rainbow Bridge National Monument
- Posted in Travel Ljubljana Forum "Re: Sightseeing"
- Wrote a Review The rocks and cliffs show their feelings in Rainbow Bridge National Monument Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "The rocks and cliffs show their feelings"
- updated a Rainbow Bridge National Monument Travel Page "One of the 7th Natural Wonders."
- Commented on one of dila's Rainbow Bridge National Monument travel pages
Photos in Rainbow Bridge National MonumentSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Page Intro, 87 reviews, 158 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lithuania Intro, 29 reviews, 115 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vilnius Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 6 reviews, 56 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 18 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 5 reviews, 50 photos, 6 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 12 reviews, 38 photos, 5 travelogues
- Arizona Intro, 2 reviews, 36 photos, 5 travelogues
- Novi Sad Intro, 38 photos, 5 travelogues
- Arad Intro, 34 photos, 5 travelogues