""Next year in JerUSAlem"" Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem District by Grazina
Jerusalem District Travel Guide: 2,030 reviews and 6,157 photos
In the higher part, the splendid DOME of the Rock stands out like a jewel against the rock of Jerusalem: It was built in the second half of the seventh century by Caliph Abd El Malik. The fine majolica decoration were added by Suleiman the Manificent (16th century).
No camera allowed in the Mosque, so you have to take my word for it...Inside, a wooden railing encloses the rock which is sacred to Jews and Muslims alike, the exterior ceramic tiles are modern (1963), buy many of the interior mosaics are original. A cabinet within the building houses what many Moslems say is a hair from the prophet Mohammed's beard, a popular spot to make a wish. Muslims, who have made it the third most important goal of pilgrimage, after Mecca and Medina: they call it Haram es Sharif, the noble enclosure.
Awesome place, It's in scripture this special place that the Mosque sits. The biblical story of Abraham bring his only son Isaac to this mountain call Mount Moriah.
The golden dome was recently recovered with an aluminum-gold alloy, donated by King Hussein of Jordan.
Where the dome of the rock sits...another Temple 2000+years ago stood on this great space. At the top of the hill which has been identified as the biblical Mount Moriah spreads the Haream es Sharif, the great artificial esplanade which preserves the memory of the Second Temple built by Herod the Great and destroyed by the legionaries of Titus. This great space, an irregular rectangle about twelve hectares in area, in partially enclosed by powerful walled terraces. It is a universally sacred place, since it reminds Christians of two important episodes in the earthly like of Jesus: it is sacred to the Jews beause they believe that the episode of Abraham and Isaac took place there, but mainly because the Temple of Solomon, and the Second Temple, stood there.
This picture is just a small scale Model of the Old City of Jerusalem during the time of Herod the Great and Jesus the Christ.
- Pros:The Feeling of a Powerful Present.
- Cons:Also the feeling of sweat on you person because of the heat.
- In a nutshell:Go with an open mind & heart, but also take plenty of water.
Because millions of people pilgrimages each year, they travel to the Holy Land, they want to visit every site and this... more travel advice
I had the opportunity to bring my parents along on this trip, my dad who's a real live cow-poke climbed on to this camel... more travel advice
Grazina's Related Pages
Jerusalem District Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Old City"
- "Jerusalem & Beyond"
- "Around Jerusalem"
- "Kaleidoscope of History"
- ""Next year in JerUSAlem""
- "There is not city in the world as Jeruslem"
- "Visit to Jerusalem"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jerusalem District
- Hotels in Jerusalem District
- Transportation in Jerusalem District
- Nightlife in Jerusalem District
- Restaurants in Jerusalem District
- Shopping in Jerusalem District
- Warnings and Dangers in Jerusalem District
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jerusalem District
- 8 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Jerusalem District?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jerusalem District
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Page Intro, 87 reviews, 158 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lithuania Intro, 29 reviews, 115 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vilnius Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 6 reviews, 56 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 18 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 5 reviews, 50 photos, 6 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 12 reviews, 38 photos, 5 travelogues
- Arizona Intro, 2 reviews, 36 photos, 5 travelogues
- Novi Sad Intro, 38 photos, 5 travelogues
- Arad Intro, 34 photos, 5 travelogues