"Nida" Top 5 Page for this destination Nida by Grazina
Nida Travel Guide: 100 reviews and 258 photos
The first people appeared about 4,000 years agbe. They make their living by fishing and hunting but also knows how to work the land and grow livestock. Some 500 years ago the landscape began to suffer from the surrounding community. The old dunes turned into loose hills of sand which began to creep towards the fishermen villages. In the 16th-19th centuries fourteen villages were buried by sand
Is a natural wonder created by sea, sand, and man. It wasn't by chance that the renowned German geographer willhelm von Homboldt wrote in 1809 that "the Curonian spit is sio peculiar that if you don't want your soul to be missing a wonderful impression, you really must see it..."
According prof. V Gudelis, the last glacier while receding from what is now Lithuania some 13,000 or 15,000 years ago left a morain crest on the shore of Litorina sea (Precursor of Baltic sea) and formed a chain of islands. Several thousands years later the Semba Peninsula began to be destroyed by the waves and the south-western winds begain to move the coastial sand to the north. The sand settled between the islands thus forming a short and narrow spit which stretched to what is now Nida. Later the spit became longer and longer till 4,500 or 5,000 years ago. At that time the climate was warm and sand dunes was soon covered with grass and trees. And yes, that the city below.
- Pros:Quiet, Peaceful, Good Spirit.
- Cons:Would love to live here forever, BUT I'm not lithuainan :o(
- In a nutshell:I wish I could buy some land and live here forever.
When on th Island there was this Spirit of "love" in the air. I started to sing the song "Love is in the Air", and so... more travel advice
A bag to hold all the things you bought at the shop in town for the picnic. There are mosquito (BIG ones) that come out... more travel advice
Written May 9, 2016
Quaint town Nida
Written May 9, 2016
The Mizgiris' Amber Museum
Grazina's Related Pages
Nida Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nida - Sand dunes and pine forests"
- "Nida in Curonian Spit National Park"
- "Sea and Sand"
- "The most unique and magical place in Lithuania"
- "Nida - a nice beach resort"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nida
- Hotels in Nida
- Transportation in Nida
- Nightlife in Nida
- Restaurants in Nida
- Shopping in Nida
- Warnings and Dangers in Nida
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nida
- 8 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Nida?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nida
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Page Intro, 87 reviews, 158 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lithuania Intro, 29 reviews, 115 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vilnius Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 6 reviews, 56 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 18 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 5 reviews, 50 photos, 6 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 12 reviews, 38 photos, 5 travelogues
- Arizona Intro, 2 reviews, 36 photos, 5 travelogues
- Novi Sad Intro, 38 photos, 5 travelogues
- Arad Intro, 34 photos, 5 travelogues