"A City on a Rock "MASADA"" Masada by Grazina
Masada Travel Guide: 144 reviews and 522 photos
These short pillars are not seats like most people think. They are support for a floor that long ago caved in. But it's found in a bath house on a high Mesa South of Ein Gedi, ahigh plateau called Masada (Stronghold) was fortified about 100 BCE. The caldarium , or hot bathing room, was discovered near the northern palace along with first century tools
Masada was originally built by the Hasmonean ruler Alexander Jannaeus, then improved by Herod the Great, who built luxurious accommodation within its walls such as this bath house same location of the short pillars. The ceiling was constructed to curve like this picture shows...so the steam then rise to the ceiling and simple dips down to the side of the wall thus rotating the water back into steam.
Take the time and come to the wonderful place in the desert...take you time and make sure you go into every room and building in fact spend a whole day...
- Pros:Interesting to get up this high mesa to see interesting things.
- Cons:If your are scared of heights it's the wrong place to be.
- In a nutshell:Will worth the trip up be it by cable car or hiking.
Grazina's Related Pages
Masada Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Masada, Israel (a World Heritage Site)"
- "Once upon a time..."
- "Massada the Fortress"
- "Masada National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Masada
- Hotels in Masada
- Transportation in Masada
- Nightlife in Masada
- Restaurants in Masada
- Warnings and Dangers in Masada
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Masada
- 0 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Masada?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Masada
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Page Intro, 87 reviews, 158 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lithuania Intro, 29 reviews, 115 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vilnius Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 6 reviews, 56 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 18 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 5 reviews, 50 photos, 6 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 12 reviews, 38 photos, 5 travelogues
- Arizona Intro, 2 reviews, 36 photos, 5 travelogues
- Novi Sad Intro, 38 photos, 5 travelogues
- Arad Intro, 34 photos, 5 travelogues