"Chania Page - Finally!" Top 5 Page for this destination Chania by gale.blog.pl
Chania Travel Guide: 194 reviews and 498 photos
Chania, also known as Hania is the mental capital of Crete. It actually used to be the island's formal capital until 1971. It's up to you to decide whether it's Chania or Rethymno to be called the most beautiful town of Crete. One thing is for sure - the city is a must see in itself!
For those who are going to visit Chania I can recommend the city's homepage:
It's been prepared and updated by the municipality of Chania. It is a professional service on Chania, its tradition, geography, history etc.
Should you wish to read more about Chania on the Web, please check the following sites:
Here's a few facts about the city:
The history of Chania dates back to the Minoan times. The settlement of Kydonia was not only a town of major importance but also hosted a palace. Although the place suffered from the same sad events as the whole Minoan culture, it played an important role in Hellenistic, Roman and Byzantine times.
Centuries passed and Chania went under Venetian rule in 13th century. Venetians changed the name of the city-state into La Canea and fortified it. Visitors can admire the remains of those fortifications as well as the marvels of Venetian architecture spread all over the older part of the town, especially the harbour district.
In 1645 Chania was taken over by the Turks.
During Warld War 2 Chania suffered severe bombings. We need to remember that the famous Battle of Crete took place right there.
Presently Chania is inhabited by less than 55,000 people, many of them working in tourist business. It is a beautiful place, actually the most beautiful town in the island :)
- In a nutshell: ...marvelous...
Every time I'm in Chania I visit this tiny local cafe. It's located quite close to the very popular port district but... more travel advice
Knives are very important in Cretean culture. Now they are treated as symbols, tourist attraction. You can buy an... more travel advice
gale.blog.pl's Related Pages
Chania Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Chania Page - Finally!"
- " Crete Jawnuta & Santo 2006 "
- "Hania, Chania, and Xania... Any Others?"
- "The wonderous sunsets of Chania"
- "THE "Historical Capital" of Crete!"
- "The second biggest city of Crete..."
- "Chania...just right!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chania
- Hotels in Chania
- Transportation in Chania
- Nightlife in Chania
- Restaurants in Chania
- Shopping in Chania
- Warnings and Dangers in Chania
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chania
- 20 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Chania?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chania
Photos in ChaniaSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 120 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Crete Island Intro, 59 reviews, 117 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kazimierz Dolny Intro, 60 reviews, 110 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kos Island Intro, 54 reviews, 114 photos
- Rhodes (Island) Intro, 20 reviews, 58 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 28 reviews, 30 photos
- Athens Intro, 26 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chania Intro, 20 reviews, 31 photos
- Poland Intro, 25 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lublin Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos