"Not only for lunatics" Top 5 Page for this destination Leros Island by gale.blog.pl
Leros Island Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 147 photos
The island of Leros doesn't seem to be a popular tourist location. It offers small beaches and it can be only reached by vessels as the airport of Partheni needs modernization.
In the middle od the 20th century Leros' economy was dependent mainly on prisons and mental hospitals. This resulted in numerous jokes told among Greeks. During the rule of the military junta, opposition members were sent to Partheni. The local mental hospital presently accepts patients with the most complicated mental problems.
The other problem is the name of the island. In Greek 'lera' means 'dirt'. Greek 'Tha tilioso sti Lero' ('I'll end up in Leros') or 'The sou pao Lero' ('I'll send you to Leros') are quite popular in neighbouring islands.
During World War II Leros hosted Italian, German and British Mediterranean forces. Not many guests have been visiting the island – it doesn’t look impressive, nor does it have any considerable tourist infrastructure.
It was in the 1990’s that European tourist offices started re-discovering Leros.
Beware! You can easily lose your heart in Leros! ;-) Many people who visit the island fall in love with its atmosphere... more travel advice
The easiest way to reach Leros is to take a ferry or some other boat. It won't be expensive. Numerous ferries come to... more travel advice
gale.blog.pl's Related Pages
Leros Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Leros, Greece"
- "A Short Hop To Leros"
- "Not only for lunatics"
- "Leros island, Greece"
- "Leros: Unspoiled paradise"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Leros Island
- Hotels in Leros Island
- Transportation in Leros Island
- Nightlife in Leros Island
- Restaurants in Leros Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Leros Island
- 12 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Leros Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Leros Island
Photos in Leros IslandSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 120 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Crete Island Intro, 59 reviews, 117 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kazimierz Dolny Intro, 60 reviews, 110 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kos Island Intro, 54 reviews, 114 photos
- Rhodes (Island) Intro, 20 reviews, 58 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 28 reviews, 30 photos
- Athens Intro, 26 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chania Intro, 20 reviews, 31 photos
- Poland Intro, 25 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lublin Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos