"Ah, youth..." Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa City by Etoile2B

Iowa City Travel Guide: 119 reviews and 192 photos

This used to be my playground...

In 1980 my father decided to move the family from Los Angeles to Iowa City so he could finish up school. We lived there until 1984. When I first arrived I experienced quite a bit of culture shock. I was a big city girl used to freeways, tall buildings and diversity, three things this little college town was not exactly known for. But as the shock wore off I discovered a wonderful, artistic little intellectual community hidden in the cornfields of Iowa, and it became a second home to me. The four years I spent here are full of fond memories and old friends. It was the kind of place where we, as kids, could be out until all hours playing hide and go seek or kick the can with the other kids on the street and our moms wouldn't worry about us. It was a place we could play in the dirt and build forts in the trees. It's the kind of place where your neighbors left their front door open and you just walked on in. It was safe and I created a little family out there. And much to my surprise, when my father announced that we were moving back to California four years later, I was devestated. And although I wasn't able to get back and see just how much it's changed (and how much it's stayed the same) for nearly 20 years Iowa City has always stayed a part of me.

• Pros:Young, hip, University town. The Pedestrian mall and parks...
  • Cons:My cons would be based 20 years ago and that's not fair to the evolution of the city - so none at the moment.
  • In a nutshell:Surprisingly unique Midwest community.
  • Last visit to Iowa City: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Jul 23, 2007

• Oct 17, 2004 at 2:45 PM

126 is one of the best restaurants in town. They have 1/2 price wine on Monday night. And it is very nice to sit outside on nice days.

• caffeine_induced78's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2004 at 1:53 PM

It looks like a nice place to stop for a day or two. Sit back and relax along those cobblestone streets.

Etoile2B Used To Live Here!

Etoile2B

“Fall in love with your life 'cause that truly is romance.”

Badges & Stats in Iowa City

Have you been to Iowa City?

Latest Activity in Iowa City