"Ah, youth..." Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa City by Etoile2B
Iowa City Travel Guide: 100 reviews and 161 photos
In 1980 my father decided to move the family from Los Angeles to Iowa City so he could finish up school. We lived there until 1984. When I first arrived I experienced quite a bit of culture shock. I was a big city girl used to freeways, tall buildings and diversity, three things this little college town was not exactly known for. But as the shock wore off I discovered a wonderful, artistic little intellectual community hidden in the cornfields of Iowa, and it became a second home to me. The four years I spent here are full of fond memories and old friends. It was the kind of place where we, as kids, could be out until all hours playing hide and go seek or kick the can with the other kids on the street and our moms wouldn't worry about us. It was a place we could play in the dirt and build forts in the trees. It's the kind of place where your neighbors left their front door open and you just walked on in. It was safe and I created a little family out there. And much to my surprise, when my father announced that we were moving back to California four years later, I was devestated. And although I wasn't able to get back and see just how much it's changed (and how much it's stayed the same) for nearly 20 years Iowa City has always stayed a part of me.
- Pros:Young, hip, University town. The Pedestrian mall and parks...
- Cons:My cons would be based 20 years ago and that's not fair to the evolution of the city - so none at the moment.
- In a nutshell:Surprisingly unique Midwest community.
Iowa City has a great little downtown area near the Old Town mall that is paved with cobblestones. A lot of the bars,... more travel advice
Downtown Iowa City is full of pubs, surprise, surprise... It's a college town what do you expect. Once such bar is... more travel advice
Etoile2B's Related Pages
Iowa City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Iowa City Is A Great Town To Have Fun!"
- "Lovely place...."
- "Ah, youth..."
- "Former Capitol Now University Town"
- "Iowa City"
- "Capital of BOREDOM!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Iowa City
- Hotels in Iowa City
- Transportation in Iowa City
- Nightlife in Iowa City
- Restaurants in Iowa City
- Shopping in Iowa City
- Warnings and Dangers in Iowa City
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Iowa City
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Iowa City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Iowa City
Photos in Iowa CitySee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phumi Siem Reab Intro, 44 reviews, 139 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 28 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cancún Intro, 38 reviews, 68 photos, 4 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 53 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phnom Penh Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 24 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hanoi Intro, 19 reviews, 27 photos
- Carate 8 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Napa Intro, 29 reviews, 13 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 23 reviews, 15 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (113)
Latest Iowa City hotel reviews
- Travelodge Iowa City
- 138 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- HotelVetro Studio Suites & Convention Center
- 100 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Golden Haug Bed and Breakfast
- 156 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 23, 2012
- Alexis Park Inn And Suites
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 3, 2013
- Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
- 202 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013