Angkor Wat Transportation Tips by Etoile2B
Angkor Wat Transportation: 146 reviews and 155 photos
Our driver taking a nap while we explore a temple.
Our tuk tuk driver from the bus station was so sweet and his English was so good so we were compelled to hire him for the following day to take us around Angkor. We settled on a price of $15 US for the entire day and arranged to have him pick us up at our hotel the following morning at 4:30 am so we could experience sunrise over Angkor Wat. We later realized we fell victim to the old “bait and switch” as he changed himself out for his cousin who he swore spoke English as well as his own (this wasn’t the case). But even though his cousin couldn’t speak much English at all he arrived promptly at our hotel the following morning and was a great driver.
If you are planning to do the small tour or grand tour circuit of Angkor (both of which include the closest temples) it is reasonable to hire a tuk tuk and driver for $15 US for the entire day. In addition to an all day hire it is not unusual to have your driver pick you up for sunrise, drop you back off at your hotel to escape the midday heat and then pick you up again for sunset all for the same price. The heat gets intense in the afternoon and it’s great to escape the noontime sun and enjoy the mysteries of Angkor in minimal heat.
Tips for hiring a driver all day: Settle on your price beforehand but do not pay your driver until the end of the day.
Negotiate your prices. Drivers will attempt to get more money out of you if they can. When in doubt walk away. There is always another tuk tuk driver waiting to be your guide. Sometimes simply walking away is the best negotiating technique.
Expect to pay $15 US for a full day of the small tour or grand tour circuits. If you want to visit Banteay Srey (37 km from Siem Reap) or Kbal Spean (49 km from Siem Reap) expect to pay between $18 to $30 US for the trip because of the distance and due to the fact that the roads out to Kbal Spean are currently extremely rough and hard on the tuk tuks.
More Reviews (27)
Etoile2B's Related Pages
Angkor Wat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Angkor Wat"
- "Angkor Wat Rediscovered"
- "Angkor What?"
- "Facing to the west and stairway to heaven"
- "Angkor Wat: Our Own Personal Tuk Tuk"
- "Angkor Wat"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Angkor Wat
- Hotels in Angkor Wat
- Transportation in Angkor Wat
- Nightlife in Angkor Wat
- Restaurants in Angkor Wat
- Shopping in Angkor Wat
- Warnings and Dangers in Angkor Wat
- See All...
Explore the World
- Mocici Hotels
- Vélez-Málaga Hotels
- Oldham Hotels
- Port Coquitlam Hotels
Badges & Stats in Angkor Wat
- 28 Reviews
- 142 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Angkor Wat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Angkor Wat
Photos in Angkor WatSee All Photos (142)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phumi Siem Reab Intro, 44 reviews, 139 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 28 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cancún Intro, 38 reviews, 68 photos, 4 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 53 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phnom Penh Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 24 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hanoi Intro, 19 reviews, 27 photos
- Carate 8 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Napa Intro, 29 reviews, 13 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 23 reviews, 15 photos