"A bond in the family" Top 5 Page for this destination Florence by caffeine_induced78
Florence Travel Guide: 108 reviews and 513 photos
This picture is not of Florence. (It's on the way).
Going to Florence for me was not because of the town, it was because of my Great-Grandmother. Visiting Florence was not about the salt water taffy or the Jetty, it was about my Great-Grandmothers player piano, counting the number of steps down to the lake, and giant fungi that we kids would get excited about growing on the sides of giant trees.
When I was a kid we would make this trip several times a year. We would visit Siltcoos Lake and Lake Woahink just North.
Family rumor has it that my great-grandparents moved here from Eugene in order to find some relief from the hayfever they suffered from in the Valley. It is a trait I have inherited from that Barnum side.
So with a hint of happiness I stepped onto the plane back to Denver with the hope of some relief. I'm sure Marjorie felt much the same as her Great-grandson did - to be in Eugene this time of year means suffering, to leave Eugene anytime for me is suffering.
Florence is a town of about 5,000 citizens that is the closest Oregon Coastal town to the Eugene-Springfield Metro area. It has become a town more dependent on tourism income and less on fishing and industry. Florence has also become one of Oregon's meccas for retirees.
- Pros:close to Eugene. Quiet.
- Cons:the weather.... if that bothers you.
It's something that I've always wanted to try - clam digging. I never did when I lived in Western Oregon, it's kind of... more travel advice
Old Town Florence is not as large, old, or as well known as the more famous Florence. I walked down the street and... more travel advice
caffeine_induced78's Related Pages
Florence Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A bond in the family"
- "FLORENCE - SEA LIONS, DUNES AND COVERED BRIDGES"
- "Ken's Afternoon in Florence"
- "City in the Sand Dunes"
- "Birchy's Second Home Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Florence
- Hotels in Florence
- Transportation in Florence
- Nightlife in Florence
- Restaurants in Florence
- Shopping in Florence
- Warnings and Dangers in Florence
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Florence
- 8 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Florence?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Florence
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denver Intro, 36 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eugene Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Colorado Intro, 6 reviews, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florence Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- Genoa Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Golden Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- San Luis Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Arches National Park Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Sterling Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos