"A bond in the family" Top 5 Page for this destination Florence by caffeine_induced78

Florence Travel Guide: 108 reviews and 513 photos

on the way...

This picture is not of Florence. (It's on the way).

Going to Florence for me was not because of the town, it was because of my Great-Grandmother. Visiting Florence was not about the salt water taffy or the Jetty, it was about my Great-Grandmothers player piano, counting the number of steps down to the lake, and giant fungi that we kids would get excited about growing on the sides of giant trees.
When I was a kid we would make this trip several times a year. We would visit Siltcoos Lake and Lake Woahink just North.
Family rumor has it that my great-grandparents moved here from Eugene in order to find some relief from the hayfever they suffered from in the Valley. It is a trait I have inherited from that Barnum side.
So with a hint of happiness I stepped onto the plane back to Denver with the hope of some relief. I'm sure Marjorie felt much the same as her Great-grandson did - to be in Eugene this time of year means suffering, to leave Eugene anytime for me is suffering.

It's home.

Florence is a town of about 5,000 citizens that is the closest Oregon Coastal town to the Eugene-Springfield Metro area. It has become a town more dependent on tourism income and less on fishing and industry. Florence has also become one of Oregon's meccas for retirees.

• Pros:close to Eugene. Quiet.
  • Cons:the weather.... if that bothers you.
  • Last visit to Florence: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Jun 27, 2004

• ZanieOR's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2005 at 9:58 AM

Enjoyed your tips and photos (especially the so-typical sandy shoes). Mo's is definitely a must-go on trips to the coast.

• MATIM's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2005 at 2:12 PM

Ha ha like mapakettle I expect the Duomo and the Michelangelo! First time I read about Florence in the US :-) Great page!

• ukirsari's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2004 at 9:44 AM

awww, a very well written page with beautiful pictures. i like the description very much :)

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2004 at 7:38 PM

A remarkable page on Florence...Oregon, that is. Wonderful writing style...almost a stream of consciousness. You bring the place alive in our mind's eye. What great place.

• mapakettle's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2004 at 4:20 PM

Imagine my surprise when I didn't see the Duomo. Not disappointed either. Great pages on an interesting part of the US. Just so you know, Mo's fame has now crossed the Atlantic to Italy. Mo owes you a steaming bowl of chowder. Pa

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2004 at 3:59 PM

My childhood memories concern Honeyman. Later, it was a certain coed from Florence;-\ Good look at your hometown on the Coast. A super place to call 'home'.

• ExGuyParis's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2004 at 3:59 AM

Beautifully written and photographed. I love your use of the state as an adjective: "How Oregon"!

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2004 at 8:19 PM

Great page! (There is no wit in me today.)

• alza's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2004 at 9:07 PM

I understand your love for Oregon. I would choose to live there if I left here. Don't pretend to know all about it, but I feel fine there. I'm still thinking that I may move there. :-)

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2004 at 2:01 PM

Looks like a great coastal town..... Hey! You found my shoes!!

Badges & Stats in Florence

Have you been to Florence?

Latest Activity in Florence