"Track town USA" Top 5 Page for this destination Eugene by caffeine_induced78

Eugene Travel Guide: 208 reviews and 272 photos

Home! This area runs in my veins, this is where my family lives and has lived for generations. Yes it rains, it makes it green, beautiful and it keeps most of the outsiders away.
It was behind that house when I was 4 or 5 when I would found some puddles in the mud. I didn't care that it was raining. I got muddy building rivers, canals, draining puddles and making new ones.

When I got back to the front door my mother would order me to the back patio. When I met her there she had a garden hose in hand and said "strip!"

I visited my family on this trip and my nephew who just turned two learned how to say "Uncle Bryant," on his second day. He knows already how to say "Fish on!"

I'm so proud, my nephew is going to grow up an Oregon boy!

• Pros:In Lane County you have everything - beaches, forests, glaciers, volcanoes, roaring rivers.
  • Cons:too many outsiders whining about the rain
  • In a nutshell:green, friendly and an outdoor junkies dream
  • Last visit to Eugene: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Jul 6, 2005

• May 19, 2007 at 9:27 PM

West Brothers BBQ downtown is closed. River Ranch Steakhouse on Franklin includes much of their own menu and is owned by one of the West Brothers

• May 5, 2005 at 2:53 PM

RE: birchy99 Tue Oct 19, 2004 It pains me deeply to inform you that the West Bros BBQ is history. FYI - This is not so... West Bros. is alive and well... in Eugene. New location on Franklin Blvd.

• Mar 16, 2005 at 12:58 PM

Pre did not die by slamming into a rock after going to a Eugene bar that night. He was coming down the hill on Skyline after a party, swerved to avoid another car, and his MG rolled over and crushed his chest. I know the witnesses to the accident.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2004 at 6:27 PM

Captivating! Picturesque place, your Eugene. Your times as a young man were fun to read about. I know about the running legends...great fan of Track & Field. Your work in genuine, helpful, and genial.

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2004 at 11:37 AM

Eugene sounds like a funky town - what a great place to grow up! Much more interesting than rural Wisconsin, where I'm originally from!

• birchy99's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2004 at 4:06 PM

It pains me deeply to inform you that the West Bros BBQ is history. But the Rogue Breweries have leased the place to compete with the Steelhead. Cheers

• Sep 27, 2004 at 4:55 PM

I live in Scotland- bring on the rain! The mash sounds my cup'o tea. Hopefully get here one day... Jem

• KristaB's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2004 at 2:49 AM

Sick & Twisted Animation Festival - still going on? Sounds so odd, for Eugene, I mean. Mashed potatoes with skin and basil ... cream or milk? Some butter? Please share a recipe!

• shellybelly567's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2003 at 1:58 PM

Nice Eugene Page...I loved it there, but I guess you could call me one of the outsiders who whined about the rain. What can I say? I'm from the desert.

• roz.van's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2003 at 12:10 PM

the weather would suit old roz down to the ground. What a cool place to get lost in!

Badges & Stats in Eugene