"Planet and Satellite (Cimarron County) [road kill]" Boise City by caffeine_induced78

Boise City Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 4 photos

Alien place

They don't dance in relation to each other. You will encounter men in long white beards in Kenton and children in overalls. Some would exclaim that not much is here but I would encourage that those people should look a little deeper. Boise City is the county seat of Cimarron County - surrounded by a flat landscape full of agricultural bounty. To the west about 20 miles - crossing the route of the old Santa Fe trail (the riches now flow on the Interstate Highways far removed) is the town of Kenton.

Visit the Merc in Kenton.

People come from all over the US to hike to the highest point in Oklahoma (they call them highpointers) and with them they taught the Kentonites a little bit of big city "tolerance." Country folk can smell a city person from a mile away. Kentonites do and approach the visitors with geniune kindness and curiuosity. This is why the town is probably still here - the "highpointers."

Kenton is a small satelitte of maybe forty or fifty people that lies in a land of mesas, cactii, and forests. It's an alien landscape that lies in the shadow of Boise City.

When I find a town like this I know that I have to go back. A town like this you just have to milk it for everything it has to offer. You have to dig a little deeper.

• Pros:friendly people. Very untouristy.
  • Cons:drive too far north and south and you are not in Oklahoma
  • Last visit to Boise City: Jan 2004
  • Intro Written Jan 29, 2004

• Feb 6, 2013 at 11:31 PM

I've gotta ask: what was that huge brick ruin you photographed? A school? A church?

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2005 at 10:11 AM

I'm guessing you have the only Boise City page on VT but will check. You confirm my belief that there is something of interest anywhere you go if you look for it. (Well I'm not sure about Las Vegas)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2004 at 5:44 PM

A great page! I like little off-the-beaten-path places like this, places whose role in history has faded into oblivion in the bigger world.

• mrclay2000's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2004 at 9:56 PM

So you made the panhandle(s), eh? We now have more in common than Rocky Mtn NP and Guadalupe Mtns NP. Not familiar with Kenton. . .nor was I with Elmwood (Okla) till I stopped for gas there.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2004 at 6:10 PM

You're quite right. I do love this place.

Badges & Stats in Boise City

Have you been to Boise City?

Latest Activity in Boise City