"Planet and Satellite (Cimarron County) [road kill]" Boise City by caffeine_induced78
Boise City Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 4 photos
They don't dance in relation to each other. You will encounter men in long white beards in Kenton and children in overalls. Some would exclaim that not much is here but I would encourage that those people should look a little deeper. Boise City is the county seat of Cimarron County - surrounded by a flat landscape full of agricultural bounty. To the west about 20 miles - crossing the route of the old Santa Fe trail (the riches now flow on the Interstate Highways far removed) is the town of Kenton.
Visit the Merc in Kenton.
People come from all over the US to hike to the highest point in Oklahoma (they call them highpointers) and with them they taught the Kentonites a little bit of big city "tolerance." Country folk can smell a city person from a mile away. Kentonites do and approach the visitors with geniune kindness and curiuosity. This is why the town is probably still here - the "highpointers."
Kenton is a small satelitte of maybe forty or fifty people that lies in a land of mesas, cactii, and forests. It's an alien landscape that lies in the shadow of Boise City.
When I find a town like this I know that I have to go back. A town like this you just have to milk it for everything it has to offer. You have to dig a little deeper.
- Pros:friendly people. Very untouristy.
- Cons:drive too far north and south and you are not in Oklahoma
Black Mesa State Park has two seperate parts. One is Northwest of Kenton and includes a trail to the highest point in... more travel advice
caffeine_induced78's Related Pages
Boise City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Planet and Satellite (Cimarron County) [road kill]"
- Create a Boise City Travel Page
Badges & Stats in Boise City
- 3 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Boise City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Boise City
Photos in Boise CitySee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denver Intro, 36 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eugene Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Colorado Intro, 6 reviews, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florence Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- Genoa Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Golden Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- San Luis Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Arches National Park Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Sterling Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos