"In the heart of the high plains" Sterling by caffeine_induced78
Sterling Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 13 photos
You are driving west, to Denver most likely on that long journey from where Nebraska stops being green to where you can first see the Rocky Mountains. You are in Sterling, you are so close to being able to see those mountains but you fret because you have two more hours of driving before you see the skyscrapers of your first city in a long time. You are driving east, don't fret - it will start to get green in another three hours or so somewhere around North Platte, Nebraska. You will see a rest stop sign and you are on the edge of Sterling, so drive right by that rest stop and stretch your legs in the town. Walk around for an hour or two, drink a beer, grab a bite to eat and visit a museum.
Sterling is the largest town in Northeastern Colorado with about 10,000 citizens living in this area along the South Platte River - the same river that flows through Denver. It's a lazy river, shallow, beaded and game bird hunting is popular around here, the shade of the trees and the underbrush of the river is the best thing for the birds for miles around. The town had it's start in 1881 when M.C. King who owned 400 acres in and around present day Sterling offered 80 acres to the Union Pacific Railroad in return for their building a depot, hotel, and roundhouse. The town was subsequently platted and with the new depot the town thrived, incorporating in 1884.
- Pros:not touristy in the least, but still with things to do.
- Cons:far from transportation hubs, a car to get here is needed.
- In a nutshell:Nothing like the solitude of the high plains
Listed on the National Register of Historical Places the Logan County Courthouse was dedicated in 1910. A local... more travel advice
The Overland Trail broke off from the Oregon Trail and followed the South Platte River to what is called the Front Range... more travel advice
caffeine_induced78's Related Pages
Sterling Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "In the heart of the high plains"
- "The Northeastern Colorado Prairies"
- "Basaic Sterling Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sterling
- Hotels in Sterling
- Restaurants in Sterling
- Warnings and Dangers in Sterling
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sterling
- 5 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Sterling?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sterling
Photos in SterlingSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denver Intro, 36 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eugene Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Colorado Intro, 6 reviews, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florence Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- Genoa Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Golden Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- San Luis Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Arches National Park Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Sterling Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos