"The old capital of the Colorado Territory ." Top 5 Page for this destination Golden by caffeine_induced78
Golden Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 152 photos
It was a day off and I decided to go for a drive to the nearby town of Golden. It's a town with history and I had been through here many times on the way to Rollinsville to do my gold panning. This time, I decided that Golden would be my destination and I would stop here to visit. Little did I know until I arrived here and saw that streets were blocked off that I had come on the last day of Buffalo Bill Days - a celebration with rides for the kids, classic and antique cars all over, and of course - corn on the cob and other fun foods from the booths.
Just several years after Denver had been founded W.A.H Loveland arrived to set up Golden City in June of 1859. Suddenly Denver's position as the supply point for the gold rush happening just to the west in the Rockies was challenged. Golden City is about 15 miles to the west of Denver, where Clear Creek spills out from the Front Range. Golden City blossomed as the thousands of miners came to the new "city," to purchase mining supplies, food, housing supplies, or perehaps to spend money on a beer or two. In 1862 the Colorado territorial legislature returned to convene in Denver after a short stint in Colorado City. Golden City then bribed the legislature with an offer of use of a building and free firewood, and the legislature accepted. For five years following both Golden City and Denver claimed to be the Territorial Capital of Colorado.
Impress your beer drinking buddies! Even though steeped in a history tied to Gold this city is not named for the preciuos metal. Golden City was actually named for Thomas Golden - who camped near Clear Creek in 1858.
- Pros:Very close to Denver - with a very different feeling
- Cons:Hotels are expensive - stay in Denver
- In a nutshell:We got the railroad - nah-nah-nah!
This restuarant is a dining and historical experience. Housed in the old territorial capital building that was the scene... more travel advice
It was just chance that I came here during Buffalo Bill Days, held at the end of July. It was when I was driving down... more travel advice
caffeine_induced78's Related Pages
Golden Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "WHERE THE WEST LIVES"
- "The old capital of the Colorado Territory ."
- "Best of Both Worlds"
- "More than Coors"
- "Golden, Colorado: My Home!"
- "Golden Memories"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Golden
- Hotels in Golden
- Transportation in Golden
- Nightlife in Golden
- Restaurants in Golden
- Shopping in Golden
- Warnings and Dangers in Golden
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Golden
- 6 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Golden?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Golden
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Nor' easter Nemo."
- Wrote a Review Dinner with the ghosts of politicians in Golden Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Dinner with the ghosts of politicians"
- Commented on one of rmdw's Golden travel pages
- updated a Golden Travel Page "The old capital of the Colorado Territory ."
Photos in GoldenSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denver Intro, 36 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eugene Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Colorado Intro, 6 reviews, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florence Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- Genoa Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Golden Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- San Luis Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Arches National Park Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Sterling Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos