"The old capital of the Colorado Territory ." Top 5 Page for this destination Golden by caffeine_induced78

Golden Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 152 photos

Lucky timing for this Denverite

It was a day off and I decided to go for a drive to the nearby town of Golden. It's a town with history and I had been through here many times on the way to Rollinsville to do my gold panning. This time, I decided that Golden would be my destination and I would stop here to visit. Little did I know until I arrived here and saw that streets were blocked off that I had come on the last day of Buffalo Bill Days - a celebration with rides for the kids, classic and antique cars all over, and of course - corn on the cob and other fun foods from the booths.

Visiting Denver's old political archrival

Just several years after Denver had been founded W.A.H Loveland arrived to set up Golden City in June of 1859. Suddenly Denver's position as the supply point for the gold rush happening just to the west in the Rockies was challenged. Golden City is about 15 miles to the west of Denver, where Clear Creek spills out from the Front Range. Golden City blossomed as the thousands of miners came to the new "city," to purchase mining supplies, food, housing supplies, or perehaps to spend money on a beer or two. In 1862 the Colorado territorial legislature returned to convene in Denver after a short stint in Colorado City. Golden City then bribed the legislature with an offer of use of a building and free firewood, and the legislature accepted. For five years following both Golden City and Denver claimed to be the Territorial Capital of Colorado.

Impress your beer drinking buddies! Even though steeped in a history tied to Gold this city is not named for the preciuos metal. Golden City was actually named for Thomas Golden - who camped near Clear Creek in 1858.

• Pros:Very close to Denver - with a very different feeling
  • Cons:Hotels are expensive - stay in Denver
  • In a nutshell:We got the railroad - nah-nah-nah!
  • Last visit to Golden: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Jul 31, 2005

• jonah1's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2006 at 7:58 AM

Table Mountain heh... well it seems Cape Town no longer is the only one to stake that claim... as for the gold panning - any success?

• Small_World's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2006 at 8:05 AM

I'm going to Golden soon, for business, and I'm thinking of extending my stay in the area. (Any suggestions for where I should stay?) Thanks so much for your tips!

Badges & Stats in Golden