"I only hope I'm dug up in 34 million years" Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument by caffeine_induced78
Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 21 photos
Florissant is part of a network of Fossil beds that are administered by the National Parks service as a National Monument. This particular fossil bed was the bottom of a lakebed 34 million years ago. When Colorado sat closer to the equator and beachfront property was at what is now 5000 feet in elevation. The lake sat in the destructive path of several volcanoes that erupted 34 million years before the present. The ash sediment washed down and filled the bottom of the lake - encasing and preserving the imprints of birds, animals and even insects. The trees became crystallized by the slow infusuon of minerals into the wood. This National monument is 40 miles west of Colorado Springs off of US highway 24. Tucked behind Pikes Peak the valley sits at 8000 feet in elevation - making it a nice summer retreat.
- Pros:easily accesible and not crowded.
- Cons:small and no services in the park
- In a nutshell:take a step back in time
After you park in the parking lot and pay the fee go into the visitors center. They have a nice display of fossils from... more travel advice
caffeine_induced78's Related Pages
Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "I only hope I'm dug up in 34 million years"
- "Took 5 years to get here - worth it."
- "FLORISSANT FOSSIL BEDS NATIONAL MONUMENT, COLORADO"
- "Florissant Fossil Beds"
- "Natural History"
- "Basaic Florissant Fossil Beds NM Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument
Photos in Florissant Fossil Beds National MonumentSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denver Intro, 36 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eugene Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Colorado Intro, 6 reviews, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florence Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- Genoa Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Golden Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- San Luis Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Arches National Park Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Sterling Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos