"The Moffat tunnel - Colorado Railroad history" East Portal by caffeine_induced78
East Portal Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 1 photos
The Denver and Rio Grande Railroad connects the cities of Denver with Salt Lake City. The original grade goes up and over Corona Pass. The 6.2 mile bore was completed in 1928 with the expense of 29 lost lives. At one point during construction the entire lake of Lower Crater Lake drained into the tunnel through a fissure in the rock. This is nothing much to look at unless you have an interest in history or engineering. UP won't let you walk up anywhere close to the tunnel - for safety's sake given the large amount of activity.
To get there for a nice Sunday drive go up Colorado Hwy 119 to Rollinsville turn West at the Rollins Pass Road and continue down this dirt road for about 15 miles. When I went in late Sep. the aspen were turning and fresh snow was on the mountaintops.
- Pros:Very quiet road in Mountain valley
- Cons:dirt road with potholes made for bumpy ride.
- In a nutshell:Only for those who like to wander
Do you have a pan and been hoping to strike it rich 19th century style? This is one of several sites where trace amounts... more travel advice
caffeine_induced78's Related Pages
East Portal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Moffat tunnel - Colorado Railroad history"
- Create a East Portal Travel Page
Badges & Stats in East Portal
- 2 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to East Portal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in East Portal
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denver Intro, 36 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eugene Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Colorado Intro, 6 reviews, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florence Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- Genoa Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Golden Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- San Luis Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Arches National Park Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Sterling Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos