"From Amisos to Samsun" Samsun Ili by beatle74
Samsun Ili Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 97 photos
Samsun is the largest city on the Black Sea coast and it is a major commercial port and an industrial city. It is an ancient city which has been totally modernized and has all the traits of a commercial port.
Samsun was important during the Turkish Independence War as the spot where Ataturk landed on May 19, 1919 to organize the defense of the country. The extraordinary equestrian statue of Ataturk at the city park stands as a memorial of that day. At the Ataturk Museum, there are many memorial objects from the Turkish War of Independence. In the other museum of the city, the Archaeological and Ethnographical Museum, there are many finds from the environs and ancient Samsun (Amissos), especially of importance are the artifacts and jewelry. At Ikiztepe, there was an significant excavation, and an archaeological site from the Early Bronze Age was found. It is important since it displays the history of the Black Sea Region.
Kýzýlýrmak and Yeþilýrmak which are two of the longest rivers of Turkey reach the sea in Samsun.
Samsun is very rich in terms of water resources. It has ponds and dam reservairs apart from the natural lakes. Most of the natural lakes are constituted by the delta rivers in Çarþamba and Bafra.
Bafra lakes were formed as a result of filling of the depressions at each side of Kýzýlýrmak which passes through Bafra Plain. The main examples of the said lakes are Karaboðaz, Balýk, Liman, Dutdibi, Hayýrlý, Ýnce, Çernek and Tombul. Most of these lakes are rich in terms of aquaculture and have economic significance. This region has also national importance in terms of the variety of its birds.
Among the dam lakes, Altýnkaya and Derbent are on Kýzýlýrmak and Hasan and Suat Uðurlu Lakes are on Yeþilýrmak.
beatle74's Related Pages
Samsun Ili Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Samsun Turkey"
- "From Amisos to Samsun"
- "Welcome to Samsun"
- "A city near the black sea SAMSUN"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Samsun Ili
- Hotels in Samsun Ili
- Transportation in Samsun Ili
- Nightlife in Samsun Ili
- Restaurants in Samsun Ili
- Shopping in Samsun Ili
- Warnings and Dangers in Samsun Ili
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Samsun Ili
- 0 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Samsun Ili?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Samsun Ili
Top 10 Pages
- France Intro, 30 reviews, 31 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 23 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Marmaris Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Greenwich Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sile Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Mugla Intro, 6 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bodrum Intro, 8 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Akyaka Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- England Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue