"Aland" Top 5 Page for this destination Åland by thelittlevoice

Åland Travel Guide: 73 reviews and 127 photos

August 15, 2003

I got a Swedish friend booked tickets for us on VikingLine. We woke up around 6am. I had quite a lot to drink the night before so I had quite a bad headache. We got to the bus terminal about a minute before it took off. The bus left at 7.20am. I was so glad we got there in time esp. I had no idea where the bus was waiting. I didn't put my contact lens on yet either so everything was pretty much a blur but I guess God was leading me the way there! The bus got to Kapellskar around 9am, we then got on the boat. Got upstairs to this room full of really good chairs(pretty much like those Business class on airplanes) and just slept the whole time because we didn't have enough of sleep the night before.

Got to Mariehamn around 12.30pm. We went out and tried to figure out how to get to the center but there seemed to be no kind of transportation we could take. There's a bike renting right across the street but the rain was starting to pour so we didn't think it's a good idea. We then asked some people there and they explained how to walk there. It took around 15 minutes. We were really hungry because we didn't have any breakfast yet, let alone lunch! After we got to the center, it rained heavier. We ran into the postoffice to prepare ourselves to be able to walk in the rain and also got to send some postcards there. I asked this lady who worked at the post office if there's a McDonalds on the islands and she looked at me in such a weird way and said no :)

We got out and tried to find a place to have a lunch. We ended up at Cha Shao Tropical Restaurant. Onn and I ordered spaghetti meat sauce and shared it. We don't normally eat much anyway. After lunch, we went walking around for a bit but it was rainning too so it wasn't such the best thing to do. We went into the library for a bit, thinking what to do next and stuff. We wanted to go to Kastleholm Castle and the staff at the library said we could take a bus there and the station isn't too far from the library. When we got there, the bus alerady left and it would take a while before the next one would come so we kinda gave up on that idea. I'm a church freak so I told my friends that maybe we could check out the church instead. We walked there and realized that it was closed so we walked to the tourist info center. I asked what we should do because we had like 3 hours left. She said to go to the center, there're lots of shopping stores there. I thought to myself gosh I've been there and it even has less shops than the smallest shopping place in Bangkok! All the ideas didn't seem to work much. We sat in for a while and then I opened some magazines and saw that the rate for renting a car was cheap so I told my friends maybe this is what we should do. We walked out again in the rain to Esso and got a car, it was 20 Euros for 3 hours. We then made our way to Kastleholm in Sund finally but it was closed. We walked around for a bit and then moved on to Bomarsunds. The scenery was nice indeed and the rain stopped. After a while, we got back to the port and ready leave.

Not too sure if I like it. If I caught more sunshine, I probably would have liked it more.

A little suggestion: please search for some info about this island before you go there. You will definitely end up having a better time than me!

All photos here were either taken by me or my friend Tho.

• Pros:Peaceful.
  • Cons:Can be boring after a while.
  • In a nutshell:This is a perfect place when you wanna clear up ur head!
  • Last visit to Åland: Aug 2003
  • Intro Updated Mar 10, 2004

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2006 at 11:44 PM

Hello Peak! Great page on Åland Islands! Nice tips and photos. Cheers, Sini

• baronedivandastad's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2005 at 1:27 PM

I'm also fond of Aland, one day I'll add my own page about this fabulous archipelago. Have you been to Geta in the North? Cheers, mac

• Arjaree's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2004 at 3:05 AM

WOW you've been to loadsss of placess and I've just started! Pretty cool, Peak! :)

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2004 at 12:13 AM

You are right, Aaland has very beautiful postage stamps (which I collect by the way) and it is good to see from your pics that the beauty is not only on the stamps.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2004 at 2:17 AM

An interesting page on this obscure island! It looks like you made the best of a 'wet' situation!!

• deeper_blue's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2004 at 6:33 AM

Interesting page LV, nice pics

• babar_1's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2004 at 9:03 AM

Nice page and usefull tips of a beautiful place.

• Dany_Kulta's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2004 at 6:41 AM

Seems that Aland becomes a trendy destination :)

• Pakistaniguy's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2004 at 6:13 AM

so u have been to Aland ! Nice to know that. I had a nice time there too. Have fun !

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2003 at 8:21 PM

a nice page ! That russian fortress looks interesting !

thelittlevoice

“Be like a postage stamp. Stick to one thing until you get there.”

Badges & Stats in Åland