"Kingdom Of Cambodia - Home of Angkor" Cambodia by ngsway

Cambodia Travel Guide: 8,585 reviews and 24,104 photos

Introduction:

Cambodia is situated in Indochina, neighbouring Thailand, Vietnam and also Laos. Left in wreck after decades of instabilites, it is now awakens to catch up with the world.

My this trip to both Cambodia and Vietnam is the first real backpacking trip that I've taken. My group consist of 4 members, my sister, cousin, a friend; Adam and also myself. We decided to make an overland trip to save cost. This means we will be travelling without flight; bus from Kuala Lumpur to Haadyai, then to Bangkok. Continue our overland journey into Siem Reap, then by boat to Phnom Penh. To Saigon, we travel by bus, then back to Phnom Penh again thru the scenic Mekong Delta, by boat. We then travel to Sihanoukville before going back to Thailand by boat thru Koh Kong and bus all the way back to Kuala Lumpur.

This journey, for the unadventurous might sounds torturing. But for me, the journey itself is equally interesting as the destinations. We get to experience the effiecient Thailands public bus, the porthole-filled Cambodian Highway, the interesting boat trip at Mekong Delta and also not to mention the different and picturesque view all the way.

During this trip we visited the town Siem Reap, Phnom Penh, Ho Chi Minh City and also Sihanoukville....

Siem Reap

Siem Reap is a small town about 15km from the Angkor group of monuments. It serves as the gateway and center for the tourist visiting Angkor. The town is packed with dozens of accomodations ranging from the hostel, guesthouse to the boutique hotels and 5 star luxury resorts. We stay in total of 3 nights in Siem Reap, having purchased a 3day pass to Angkor. However, we only went temple visiting for 2 full days as we got a bit 'over-templed' after the 2nd day and decide to leave earlier to Phnom Penh.

The temple visiting is spectacular. The sight of Angkor Wat that still stand proud after all the years, keep us wonder how skillful was the ancient Khmer people. Giant trees growing into the temple at Ta Phrom enables us to experience what Lara Croft or Indiana Jones might feel in their adventures.

Phnom Penh

Phnom Penh is the capital of Cambodia. French influenced architecture can be seen everywhere. We spend in total of 3 nights here, exploring its endless market, visiting the Toul Sleng museum, admiring its waterfront and also sampling its variety of culinary delights. However, a word of caution, as with any city, it is actually not as safe to travel alone at nights. There are stories of snatch thieves, robberies everywhere.

• Last visit to Cambodia: Oct 2003
  • Intro Updated Jan 9, 2004

• kenyneo's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2008 at 10:22 PM

Dora, excellent tip on Mekong express ..I am planning to travel from Siem Reap to Phnom penh ..many thanks for the tips :-)

• muddybok's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2004 at 3:27 AM

Nice pics!!!

• pmarshuk's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2004 at 9:06 AM

Hi Dora. Great page with wonderful pics and very good tips. Brings back nice memories for me.

• edachsund's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2004 at 11:52 PM

wonderful pic and good write up Dora! it certainly bring back old memories u know especially the Cambodia soup noodle. I think I had the same thing before but without those meet. :-)

• rich77's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2004 at 7:31 PM

WoW! Fantastic pics!!

• genispp's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2003 at 4:12 AM

Beautiful page. I like your photos

• bkoon's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2003 at 4:28 AM

Wow. Very informative. Thanks Dora!

• jrs1234's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2003 at 8:18 AM

Great pictures and nice tips! I missed out on the sunsets as it was raining... Thanks.

• ghislain69's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2003 at 3:24 AM

Excellent your page came up exactly when I was planning to visit this part of the world..planning to go end nov.to viet/cambodia and laos...

• Chudi's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2003 at 12:36 AM

What an interesting country, i hope to get there one day. thanks for a good tips.

ngsway

“Now, is always the time to do everything.... Never say later.”

Badges & Stats in Cambodia

Have you been to Cambodia?

Friends