"Phi Phi Don from the eye of a Malaysian Girl..." Ko Phi Phi Don by ngsway

Ko Phi Phi Don Travel Guide: 491 reviews and 1,370 photos

To tell the truth, I get to know about Phi Phi Island from the movie 'The Beach'. It gives me an impression of a deserted island, empty secluded beaches, crystal clear water and blue sunny sky...

Wanted to be adventurous, I armed with a copy of Lonely Planet Thailand, I arrived in Haadyai after an overnight bus trip from Kuala Lumpur. This is the first time in my life that I pick up courage to travel independantly on my own.

Skipping from tour agency to tour agency, I was shocked to be told that December to January is peak season! It was then that I know, most 'gweilor' or 'farang' chose to travel at the durations. I was asked to book and pay for rooms because every guest house in the island will be fully booked. Sensing that it might be the travel agencies tactic to snare ignorant travellers, I decided that the whole island cannot be packed. I paid for the one way minibus plus ferry ticket to the island, preparing that the worse means I will have to camp at the beach...

After a good five hour travel including the ferry ride, I arrived at the jetty of Phi Phi Island. What a surprise! I've never seen such a packed island. That kills my imagination of a secluded empty island. The shops, guest house are all hap hazardly built. I've seen constructions like this only in illegal squaters in Kuala Lumpur. Another important fact is, the island have more 'farang' than Thai people.

Lucky for me, I found a clean and comfortable guest house at half the price that the Haadyai tour agency offered. What a relief!

• Pros:Crystal clear water, white sandy beach etc-etc
  • Cons:Bit too crowded, hap hazard buildings
  • In a nutshell:Paradise, but discovered by too many farang!
  • Last visit to Ko Phi Phi Don: Jan 2003
  • Intro Updated Mar 5, 2003

ngsway

“Now, is always the time to do everything.... Never say later.”

Badges & Stats in Ko Phi Phi Don

Have you been to Ko Phi Phi Don?

Friends