"Starved Rock State Park, Utica , Illinois" Utica by vytisknight
Utica Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 78 photos
Starved Rock State Park derives its name from a Native American legend of injustice and retribution. In the 1760s, Pontiac , Chief of the Ottawa tribe upriver from here, was killed by an Illiniwek while attending a tribal council in Southern Illinois. According to legend, during one of the battles that occurred to avenge his killing , a band of Illniwek, under attack by a band of Potawatomi(friends of the Ottawa), sought refuge atop a 125 foot sandstone butte.The Ottawa and Potawatomi surrounded the bluff and held their ground until the hapless Illiniwek died of starvation this giving rise to the name " Starved Rock ".
Starved Rock State Park offers 13.1 Miles Hiking trails to Canyons and Waterfalls, Fishing, Boating, Skiing and Sailing; Bicycling, Fairs and Festivals, Cross-Country Skiing, Snowmobiling,Ice Skating, Toboganning,Horseback riding and Hayrack Rides, Picnicking, and History of the Illinois Valley.
This area is called Lovers Leap Overlook.
- Pros:Very Beautiful Park that is well kept .
- Cons:Be sure to stay on trails .
- In a nutshell:A visit worth the time that will make many memories
vytisknight's Related Pages
Utica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Starved Rock State Park, Utica , Illinois"
- "Utica, Illinois"
- "Stefan's new Utica Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Utica
- 12 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Utica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Utica
Photos in UticaSee All Photos (21)
Top 5 Pages
- Utica Intro, 12 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tallinn County Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Viljandi Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Ocean City Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos