"It is small, but it's where I was born" Tristan da Cunha by Aabebi

Tristan da Cunha Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 114 photos

Home and Family

Today, on Tristan da Cunha we have about 307 people +or – we have a school, hospital, post office, museum, and a crayfish (lobster) canning factory. The issuance of Tristan da Cunha stamps crayfishing, and working for the government are the major sources of revenue for the island. Even though we are so small and isolated away we are proud to be self-supporting and self governing holdout members of the “British empire”. We fish, raise livestock, make handicrafts, grow potatoes and drink lots of castle our favorite beer.

Tristan da Cunha island is visited annually by RMS St. Helena (biggest event of the year) and more regularly by fishing vessels. There is no airport or landing field on the island.

Family

Since the day I was born, I have enjoyed story telling. My first memories are of my father spinning me tales, as I nodded off. Every night I traveled back in time through his stories. I learned of tales of the sea , of the great volcano that made my family leave our island in 1962, Napoleon reign, and Sojourner Truth's brilliant speech. All elements of our historical heritage, for which I have great affection.

When I was quite young, my father purchased our very first computer the very first one on my Island. Through his hobby, I grew to love the technical side of the world in which we live. Through the years, we have owned many computers and they each taught me something new I love to work on and with the computer.

"Abi” , you have to make it. I want you to finish what the rest of us have started. You must go to and finish university ," my grandmother has stated to me many times. No one in my family has completed a four year degree. It is my intent to blaze a trail for my posterity, as also is my grandmother's ambition.
As long as I can remember it has been my fondest dream (and my furthest goal) to attend university . From the beginning, I knew it would be an uphill climb to gain admission into a prestigious UK university. But iit is not alone my mother and father are working hard in Tristan da Cunha to allow me to go to University. Now all I have to do is well on my A levels.

Glass Family home in 1824

Augustus Earle was stranded on our island in 1824 for 8 months and these are his painting of my early family. Earle went on to be the Artist on the HMS Beagle the same ship as Charles Darwin and became quite famous

He painted this picture -- the home of the first settlers the Glass family. The painting is called the Govners house but much smaller than the one in St Helena whre I go to school now.

later I will show you our home now but it is not much diffrent

Glass house 2002

William Glass (like my last name) of Scotland is regarded as the founder settler of Tristan da Cunha :and my great great grandfather he was garrisoned on the island in 1816, and returned with his wife Maria Magdalena Leenders from South Africa with her to make this our home. This was our house above in 1824 and where my family lives now see not so different- But officially it is still know as the "governors house".

• Pros:Family
  • Cons:1 ship every few months at most
  • In a nutshell:Lobsters, family, belonging and peace
  • Intro Updated Nov 12, 2009

• SharonD1's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Hi Abbebi, My 4th Great Grandfather was William Glass so I suppose we are very distant cousins. My Great Grandfather John Hagan came to the Cape and settled here. His mother was Tilda Green and his father William Hagan. His Grandmother was Selina Glass who married Andrew Hagan and was the daughter of William Glass. So I suppose somewhere along the line we are very distant cousins. I wish you well in your studies and hope that one day before I die I get to visit the island of my forefathers that intrigues me so . :-)Sharon

• Dec 29, 2009 at 6:33 AM

Abbebi: Thank you for this lovely page. Tremendously enjoyable and touching. I'm writing a fictional tale about Tristan and I will give the Protagonist your name - It's a beautiful and unusual name. Cheers! Franco

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2008 at 7:33 AM

Wow, another remote island at the atlantic ocean.! Thanks a lot for sharing!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2008 at 7:37 AM

Hi, Aabebi! Thanks for your nice description of your home island!

• Oct 10, 2007 at 5:47 AM

Your information is incorrect. I am a Tristanian & know all 285 Tristanians. I have written a book about Tristan. "Rockhopper Copper" Stop writing lies. Any person interested in Tristan visit our website for the truth.

• southerncross7's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2007 at 3:54 AM

My wife is from Tristan Da Cunha and you are not a Tristanian, Herbert is Spikes brother so he cannot be your grandfather!!

• petwouters's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2007 at 10:50 PM

Looks really interesting... Maybe I'll visit one day :-) Very interesting pages!

• johnswansea's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2007 at 8:05 AM

Hi I might have met and spoken to your father in 1962 I was at HMS Conway on Anglesey Wales UK and we had a visit from the inhabitants of Tristan DA Cunha after they had be evacuated we were shown pictures and had a talk very interesting John

• MickeH's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2007 at 4:16 AM

"Tristan Da Cunha defence"-tip really made me laugh! Good one :)

• BluBluBlu's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2006 at 2:23 AM

A fascinating glimpse into a remote place! Blu

Aabebi

“The world is Big and Blue but St Helena Island is home”

Badges & Stats in Tristan da Cunha

Have you been to Tristan da Cunha?

Latest Activity in Tristan da Cunha