"A city coming alive" Top 5 Page for this destination Luanda by jungleboy

Luanda Travel Guide: 138 reviews and 257 photos

Luanda

I first visited Luanda in2003 and it was totally not what i expected. I guess it depends what you are coming to Angola for but I like Luanda a lot. It has many problems to solve and the war has left a scar on Angolas people, buildings and surroundings but I feel pretty lucky to see a city finding its feet after such a long period of conflict. My parents have lived in Luanda for three years now and I have just spent another Christmas in Angolas capital city. Everytime I come here there are so many changes and it is really exciting to see the place coming back to life. I hope that the Angolan Government continue on this path towards rebuilding Angola into the prosperous and peaceful nation that really is a wonderful place.

The rebuilding has begun

There were a lot of changes that I noticed on my latest visit which many people would take for granted or possibly not even care about... but the traffic lights are being repaired, the streets are being cleaned, hospitals and schools are being built, buildings are being renovated, lots of shops and cafes are opening and cranes are beginning to tower over the city centre and the economy kicks off and offices are being built.

All signs that Luanda is on the move and there is a real buzz in the city.

A beautiful City

Angolas colonial past has left its mark in many ways. The portugese architecture is one of the most noticable and really makes Luanda a beautiful city. Of course it has it's problems but the city is full of amazing streets, avenues, statues and buildings.

• Pros:Relatively small, on the coast, beaches, history, old colonial architecture, nightlife
  • Cons:poverty, dirty streets, traffic
  • In a nutshell:A very different destination!
  • Last visit to Luanda: Jan 2005
  • Intro Updated Jan 18, 2005

• dejavu2gb's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2005 at 1:55 AM

What a fantastic Luanda page. I never thought Angola looked the way it did on your photos. I will have to add that on my list of places to visit.

• thelittlevoice's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2005 at 5:22 AM

What a great page. I truely hope I'll get there one day.

• canuckmike's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2004 at 1:00 PM

Jungleboy, I am impressed with your Luanda page. Keep up the good work. I have wanted to go to Angola for a while and if I do I just might have to ask for some more of your advice.

• Cabana_Boy's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2004 at 3:34 PM

Yum, bush meat!!! Extra crunchy? Yes please! I had some questionable “hamburgers” in Cameroon once that I swear was from the bush, but it’s all good until someone gets the Ebola…anyway, great page, you’ve given me some ideas for my return trip to Angola.

• creativechuckie's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2004 at 8:27 PM

It is very hard to find information about Angola, especially photos. We will be moving to Luanda to start an orphanage in about 2 years, so this has been great. Would LOVE to see more photos and hear more about the area!

• Narviking's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2003 at 5:16 PM

WOW, nice page about interesting destination. Would love to go there. Greetings from Norway !

Badges & Stats in Luanda