"Buna Ziua" Top 5 Page for this destination Oradea by Mique
Oradea Travel Guide: 164 reviews and 464 photos
Spring is here and i realised this week that it is my last week in Oradea. I'll be back here for a short weekend to say goodbye to everybody but that is it. Another farewell. Some people i'll see again but of many i know we'll never meet in the future. It has been a great time. Teaching english to kids was quite an experience. I'm not sure i'm cut out for a job as a teacher but i did enjoy it and apparently so did the kids. And they even learned something.. So all in all, it wasn't for nothing. And although Oradea will not be a popular tourist destination any time soon i loved living in this city. Even if it was for such a short time (4,5 months). I will miss this place. It has a nice ambience, some very good restaurants, a good night life and loads of nice people.
Although you can see from the state of most of the buildings that there is still a long way to go, Oradea is a really nice visit and has some beautiful buildings. I especially like the moon church and the old bishop palace that now houses a really nice museum. And steadily more and more buildings are renovated. Which is brilliant because Oradea has a really nice architecture from the late 1900's.
It isn't a rich area. Well rich is a very relative term but when taken in monetary value it isn't rich at all. And the current funds are used to improve the infrastructure in the hope that that will help investors to come to Oradea. But every now and then you see a huge house being build by someone who has acquired a lot of the 'good stuff' .
One thing that struck me is that all churches have either been renovated, are under renovation or a complete new church is being build. And i'm sure i counted at least 3 new churches being build. And i wondered whether that money couldn't be put to better use. But that is just me. Someone else could have a whole different point of view of course.
Too bad that most people who visit Romania rush through Oradea. And usually also forget about the whole Bihor County when there is so much to see here.
- Pros:Beautiful town with virtually NO tourists and the only working moon mechanisme
- In a nutshell:Don't visit so i'll be the only one knowing about this spot...
This is at the moment my favorite place to eat. It has a mixed romanian/hungarian menu. The food is very good and very... more travel advice
It is a place that doesn't appeal to everyone. But i like it. It has this relaxed atmosphere that makes that you feel... more travel advice
Mique's Related Pages
Oradea Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oradea, meine Heimatstadt die ich so sehr liebe"
- "Buna Ziua"
- "Oradea - Nagyvarad - GrossWardein"
- "Winds Of Change"
- "Oradea , Romania beautiful land, beautiful people."
- "ORADEA - Historical Heritages"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oradea
- Hotels in Oradea
- Transportation in Oradea
- Nightlife in Oradea
- Restaurants in Oradea
- Shopping in Oradea
- Warnings and Dangers in Oradea
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oradea
- 28 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Oradea?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oradea
Photos in OradeaSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 87 reviews, 93 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Hague Intro, 68 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 32 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Romania Intro, 44 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 25 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scheveningen Intro, 24 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oradea Intro, 28 reviews, 48 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 24 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 27 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Émilion Intro, 18 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues