"Playing tourist on a beautiful sunny but cold day" Top 5 Page for this destination Delft by Mique
Delft Travel Guide: 501 reviews and 1,356 photos
Since i live so close to Delft i really needed to visit this place again. I had been here occasionally before but now i went to investigate all the possibilities for a VT-meeting here. And that is always a good reason to do some preliminary reseach yourself..
And it is such a nice city to play tourist in.. Due to the Technical University that is based here, the city has a vast number of students and that makes it a very lively place with lots of people on bike and many many bars..
But it is also a very old city and quite well preserved. And making such a visit to a place teaches you all sorts of new things about a place. For example i never knew that Delft actually came from Delf (Delven means to dig) since people started digging for peat here at the end of the 10th century. And that the 't' was added to the name later on and is probably due to the local accent..
And then there is of course the connection with our Royal family all throughout history up to this age.. Since the assasination of William the Silent in 1584 in the Prinsenhof (court of the Prince) the royal burials take place in teh Nieuwe Kerk (new church)
- Pros:Much history in a well-preserved environment
- Cons:Non that i found on my trip here
- In a nutshell:Absolutely inviting and historically interesting town
Here used to be the convent of the holy ghost but when it turned into an orphanage for girls, the building was torn down... more travel advice
It is very hard to miss this tomb if you enter the new church. Walk up to it and look at it at your leisure . There are... more travel advice
Mique's Related Pages
Delft Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "For your Dutch quaintness fix :-)"
- "Delft from where the "blue" conquered the world."
- "DELFT --A SPECIAL PLACE IN OUR HEARTS"
- "Delving into Delft"
- "Playing tourist on a beautiful sunny but cold day"
- "The Royal Delft"
- "Delving Through Delft"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Delft
- Hotels in Delft
- Transportation in Delft
- Nightlife in Delft
- Restaurants in Delft
- Shopping in Delft
- Warnings and Dangers in Delft
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Delft
- 24 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Delft?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Delft
Photos in DelftSee All Photos (51)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 87 reviews, 93 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Hague Intro, 68 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 32 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Romania Intro, 44 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 25 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scheveningen Intro, 24 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oradea Intro, 28 reviews, 48 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 24 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 27 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Émilion Intro, 18 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (52)
Latest Delft hotel reviews
- Hotel de Emauspoort
- 250 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Hotel Restaurant Johannes Vermeer
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 5, 2013
- Hotel Leeuwenbrug
- 118 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- China Hotel Holland
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 5, 2013
- Hotel de Kok
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- Campanile Hotel Delft
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Hotel De Vlaming
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2010
- Best Western Museumhotels Delft
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 14, 2013
- Soul Inn
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Hotel de Plataan Delft
- 51 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 11, 2013