"Leiden a city with a history" Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden by Mique
Leiden Travel Guide: 625 reviews and 1,436 photos
Living so close to Leiden i needed to visit it again. Had done so many many years ago but i only had a very dim recollection of that time. With 2 nephews i was hear a year or so ago, but we just visited Naturalis. And the last time i was there we headed straight for the restaurant, leaving little room to actually see something of the city.
But it is a city well worth knowing. It has the oldest university in the Netherlands. The city centre hasn't changed in centuries. There are quite a few very good musuems and of course Rembrandt was born here.. Reason enough to do some exploring of my own
The symbol for Leiden are 2 keys that cross. And you'll find them everywhere. On buildings and bridges. Usually in red and white but like the tablet that i found on a house just the keys without the colour is very recognisable too.
Today (june 8 2004 I met Bruce (Xefian) and his wife Gerry in Leiden. We had a great time walking through the city looking at the buildings, talking and reading some of the poetry on the walls. They also brought me a great gift from West Virginia. A beautiful pendant made of recycled glass. A gift from the girls that i did help just a little bit with their project on the netherlands. Elfstedentocht mostly. Thanks!
- Cons:Nothing that i can think off
- In a nutshell:A very good way to spend a day (or more)
Part of the former Elisabeth-guesthouse that was founded in 1428 to help poor sick women. It wasn't only in use for the... more travel advice
According to the guide i had bought the route was also idicated by characteristic poles... Yeah right. The only thing i... more travel advice
Mique's Related Pages
Leiden Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rembrandt, Boerhaave, Pelgrim Fathers, University"
- "Leiden, where Rembrandt was born in 1606"
- "I Love Leiden"
- "Leiden a city with a history"
- "A Rainy Morning Wander"
- "The key to ..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Leiden
- Hotels in Leiden
- Transportation in Leiden
- Nightlife in Leiden
- Restaurants in Leiden
- Shopping in Leiden
- Warnings and Dangers in Leiden
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Leiden
- 32 Reviews
- 65 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Leiden?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Leiden
- Posted in Travel Myanmar (Burma) Forum "Re: Which airlines fly to/from -..."
- Commented on one of Xefian's Leiden travel pages
- updated a Leiden Travel Page "Leiden a city with a history"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Leiden a city with a history"
- Wrote a Review Sint Elisabeth Gasthuishof about Historical Leiden in Leiden Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Myanmar (Burma) Intro, 87 reviews, 93 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Hague Intro, 68 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 32 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Romania Intro, 44 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bordeaux Intro, 25 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scheveningen Intro, 24 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oradea Intro, 28 reviews, 48 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 24 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 27 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Émilion Intro, 18 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues