Schiedam Things to Do Tips by Mique Top 5 Page for this destination
Schiedam Things to Do: 17 reviews and 25 photos
Nationaal Coöperatie museum
Thsi little museum is located in a corner building. It is just behind the old-fashioned candy store where you have to go through to get to the museum. The museum msotly gives an impression of how a working-class family would live in the 1920's. It has a bedstee (cupboard bed). And it reminded me of the time i wanted one like that. My dad jsut didn't feel like making me one. And i was very disappointed..
The picture in the righthand lower corner shows an article in which the dung-cart came to empty the loo's.
The volunteers at this museum will give you all the answers to any questions you might have.
Entrance is free, but a small donation is appreciated.
Address: Lange Haven opposite the Appelmarktbrug
One of the 3 cast-iron bridges of Schiedam and this one dates back to 1860. They're the oldest examples of these kind of bridges in the Netherlands.The name Appelmarktbrug refers probably to the time when the Appelmarkt was used as such. And this bridge led to that market (which you can find before the community museum)
When ships need to pass htis bridge, it is hauled up by 2 bridge gaurds by hand. Must be a heavy job to do i'm sure. But it sure is a pittoresque sight.
This church was build between 1822 and 1824.
In the middle of the facade there is the 'all-seeing eye'. Appartently this was used to scare unruly children. They were told that the eye saw everything..
Not sure if the church is open for visits. You'll find this church almost next to the jenever-museum and i got stuck there...
Everywhere in Schiedam you can find warehouses. Since there was a lot of brewery of jenever going on, a lot of ingredients needed to be stored. Nowadays many of them are converted or in the process of being converted to apartments. Many warehouses have the typical 'klokgevel' (bellshaped facade).
The 2 warehouses on the picture on the right have the names of 2 dutch provinces on their front, Zeeland and Gelderland.
The entrance to the brewery
Since Schiedam is THE jenever city in the Netherlands, it is an absolute must to visit the jenever museum when you're there.
You can learn about the history of jenever, how it is brewed and of course you can taste some in the bar which is the final part of your museum tour...
It also has a very nice and sometimes funny collection of miniature jenever bottles. Very amusing
Prices for 2004 are 4,40 euro for adults and 3,90 for kids between 11 and 18. Kids younger then that go in for free.
It's open tuesdays till saturdays from 12-17h
Sundays and festive days the brewery museum is open form 12.30 till 17h
Address: Lange Haven 74-76, Schiedam
Phone: + 31 (0)10 -426 1291
More Reviews (4)
Mique's Related Pages
Schiedam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Schiedam another neighbour"
- "Schiedam, of windmills and jenever"
- "The windmill town"
- "Schiedam: Somewhere between Den Haag and Rotterdam"
- "CITY OF THE SCHIE"
- "windmills and gin city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Schiedam
- Transportation in Schiedam
- Restaurants in Schiedam
- Shopping in Schiedam
- See All...
Explore the World
- Rawis Hotels
- Wimberley Hotels
- Shendun Hotels
- Incline Village
- Castel Petraio Hotels
- Hurricane Mills
Badges & Stats in Schiedam
- 9 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Schiedam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Schiedam
Photos in SchiedamSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 87 reviews, 93 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Hague Intro, 68 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 32 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Romania Intro, 44 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 25 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scheveningen Intro, 24 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oradea Intro, 28 reviews, 48 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 24 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 27 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Émilion Intro, 18 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues