"Schiermonnikoog" Schiermonnikoog by Mique
Schiermonnikoog Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 133 photos
The fondest and best memories of this place are me lying in a hallow between 2 dunes and hearing only the birds singing. And when i was much younger, that we went for a swim in the little lake on the island and that you could play everywhere without needing to worry about cars and such since only the inhabitants of this small island (10 miles long an 2½ miles wide) are allowed to take their cars to the island.
In 1984 it became a national park. From half april till half june part of the island is no-go area because of the breeding of the birds. The only way to get into this area at that time is to go along an excursion.
But it is a wonderful place to go any time. It already starts when you have to take the ferry. That in itself already gives such a feeling of holiday... Mmm, i should go and visit this place soon again.
If only to take some better pictures.. but at least they can give you an impression..
When you're on the island there is more to do then just relax in case you want to.
Easy is to walk or to rent a bike. But one can also go swimming, horsebackriding, go canoing on the sea and surfing.
In case you feel a bit more adventurous try for wadlopen (mud walking, walking on the sea floor when its not flooded). I have not yet tried this but since it is hard work i must definitely do something about my shape before starting on a 4 to 6 hour walking tour though sand, water (from ankel- to kneehigh or more), mud and what else one can encounter.
- Pros:Nice and quite in- and outside the season.
- Cons:None that i can think of
- In a nutshell:Superb
The easiest way to get around the island is by bike. And there are few places where you can rent them. Since only the... more travel advice
The only way to get to Schiermonnikoog is by the ferry that departs from Lauwersoog. The trip takes about 45 minutes.... more travel advice
Mique's Related Pages
Schiermonnikoog Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A beautiful day on Schiermonnikoog"
- "Small island, great for short trips!"
- "A dutch isle of tranquility"
- "the place to chill"
- "wadlopen schiermonnikoog"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Schiermonnikoog
- Hotels in Schiermonnikoog
- Transportation in Schiermonnikoog
- Restaurants in Schiermonnikoog
- Shopping in Schiermonnikoog
- Warnings and Dangers in Schiermonnikoog
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Schiermonnikoog
- 4 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Schiermonnikoog?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Schiermonnikoog
Photos in SchiermonnikoogSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 87 reviews, 93 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Hague Intro, 68 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 32 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Romania Intro, 44 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 25 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scheveningen Intro, 24 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oradea Intro, 28 reviews, 48 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 24 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 27 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Émilion Intro, 18 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues