"Wine city par excellence" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Émilion by Mique
Saint-Émilion Travel Guide: 104 reviews and 344 photos
When we drove up to St-Emilion it was luckily a very clear day. Cold, yes but dry and with a blue sky. So when we saw St-Emilion lying in the distance it became of great importance to find a good place to park and take pictures. After a few almosts we finally got St-Emilion good in view.
Off course Saint Emilion is very well known because of all the wine. Apparently there are 1000 wine-chateaux in the Saint Emilion region. 37 are qualified as very good. And 16 are in the top class. Of those 16, there are 2 chateaux that are the best-of -the -best. Although all 1000 chateaux produce very good quality wine.
But St-Emilion is not only a wine-town. It is also a medieval town with cobble-stoned passageways, town-gates and very small streets. And many, many places to visit. I know we missed quite a few. We were too busy wine-tasting..
In April 2004 i was here again. And even this time i haven't managed to see all i wanted to see. I so have to go back again to do the underground tour of the Monolith church and the hermit's cave....
And again, July 2009, I have to say i didn't visit the church. You can only visit with a group and the tour had just left. With a 1,5 year-old, waiting 2 hours especially during his sleeping time just wasn't an option..... I did see something new though: the most expensive wine-list. A Petrus of 1947 (if my memory serves me well) is sold for 4700 Euro excluding tax!
- Pros:great place for wine-tasting, fantastic entourage
- Cons:i guess it can be very crowded in the summer period
- In a nutshell:An absolute great town to visit
When you come from the most common direction to St-Emilion (Bordeaux, Bergerac direction) you?ll find that there are 2... more travel advice
This gate i found when i took the outer road along the Cardinal?s Palace back to where i had parked my car. It... more travel advice
Mique's Related Pages
Saint-Émilion Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wine city par excellence"
- "Wine Shopping in lovely St. Emilion"
- "On and Off the Road in St. Emilion"
- "Wine Anyone?"
- "My Day Trip to the Heart of France's Wine Country"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint-Émilion
- Hotels in Saint-Émilion
- Transportation in Saint-Émilion
- Restaurants in Saint-Émilion
- Shopping in Saint-Émilion
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint-Émilion
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint-Émilion
- 18 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Saint-Émilion?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint-Émilion
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 87 reviews, 93 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Hague Intro, 68 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 32 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Romania Intro, 44 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 25 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scheveningen Intro, 24 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oradea Intro, 28 reviews, 48 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 24 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 27 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Émilion Intro, 18 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues