"Wine city par excellence" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Émilion by Mique

Saint-Émilion Travel Guide: 104 reviews and 344 photos

When we drove up to St-Emilion it was luckily a very clear day. Cold, yes but dry and with a blue sky. So when we saw St-Emilion lying in the distance it became of great importance to find a good place to park and take pictures. After a few almosts we finally got St-Emilion good in view.

Off course Saint Emilion is very well known because of all the wine. Apparently there are 1000 wine-chateaux in the Saint Emilion region. 37 are qualified as very good. And 16 are in the top class. Of those 16, there are 2 chateaux that are the best-of -the -best. Although all 1000 chateaux produce very good quality wine.

But St-Emilion is not only a wine-town. It is also a medieval town with cobble-stoned passageways, town-gates and very small streets. And many, many places to visit. I know we missed quite a few. We were too busy wine-tasting..

In April 2004 i was here again. And even this time i haven't managed to see all i wanted to see. I so have to go back again to do the underground tour of the Monolith church and the hermit's cave....

And again, July 2009, I have to say i didn't visit the church. You can only visit with a group and the tour had just left. With a 1,5 year-old, waiting 2 hours especially during his sleeping time just wasn't an option..... I did see something new though: the most expensive wine-list. A Petrus of 1947 (if my memory serves me well) is sold for 4700 Euro excluding tax!

• Pros:great place for wine-tasting, fantastic entourage
  • Cons:i guess it can be very crowded in the summer period
  • In a nutshell:An absolute great town to visit
  • Last visit to Saint-Émilion: Jul 2009
  • Intro Updated Jul 28, 2009

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2006 at 3:40 AM

Love the pix through the arches. I don't believe in spitting the wine out. Don't see the sense in wasting any haha :o) Can't wait to go!! Cheers Ann :o)

• lorgnierl's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2005 at 5:36 AM

nice city, next time contact me

• Tripack's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2005 at 3:52 PM

Oh a tasteful page! I must add St Emilion in my worldwide wine tasting tour ;-) Never been there but some locals (wine) are waiting in my cellar for a visit ;-) Cheers from the Swiss Vineyards!

• thinking's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2004 at 1:45 PM

I really enjoyed reading your pages. All the best.

• VincentJJ's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2004 at 5:40 AM

Went last sunday,nice weather. Very nice place to visit. Made a ride/tour with the little train, witch give you much info of the buildings and winechataux's. The SntEm wine is rather strong. SeeU! Will make a S-E page too.

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2004 at 6:06 PM

Yep it's hard not to swallow rather than spit when you're tasting good vin rouge! lol! Is that Chris VTer cjg1? The photos from the tower are superb. Gr8 page all round. Merci Sandra!

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2004 at 12:40 PM

Great page about this beautiful town, I would love to return, Well done (~_~)

• Nathalie_B's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2004 at 6:19 AM

Awesome page!! Do they serve any food and beer there?? You know I'm not a huge fan of wine ;-)

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2004 at 8:45 AM

Ah....St. Emillion...thank u for the p/c...and Jet and Gerrit even signed it...hopefully I can make it this way again, and I will definitely pay your parents a visit.

• BerniShand's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2004 at 3:52 PM

it was really good of you to taste all that wine, just so you could tell us all about it, l hope it wasnt too much of an ordeal for you dear..........

Mique

“Be yourself, everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde (thanks Luna!)”

Badges & Stats in Saint-Émilion

Have you been to Saint-Émilion?

Latest Activity in Saint-Émilion