"Lviv - mix of Western look and Eastern behaviour" Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv by Raimix
Lviv Travel Guide: 760 reviews and 2,465 photos
The wish to visit Western part of Ukraine was very big, but a few years I made excuses about it, visiting just other places and hardly finding convenient transportation to come to Lviv area. As for September 2012 I was amazed to see that direct buses from Vilnius go 2 times per week (not one, as always before), so immediately decided to come to this part of Ukraine. It was not whole week trip, I stayed here 5 days, 3 of them just for Lviv, 2 - for daytrips to Olesko and Zhovkva. Actually it looked fine to see most important things and at least a bit to feel the city.
Why I wanted to visit Lviv? Actually I was eager to see city, influenced by so many nations, also having some common history with Lithuania, Poland. What is more, I knew that place still not so much overcrowded by tourism and not so much expensive. I was happy to find nice hosts and also great hostel in Lviv for my stay.
Lviv city is quite old one, more than 750 years old. It was founded as a city of Galicia principality, by king Daniel. As his son was Lev, he named the city after him. For a long time (from 14th to almost end of 18th century) city belonged to Poland - Lithuania Commonwealth, later - to Austria till 1918. Later it was a part of Poland again, Soviet Union and finally Ukraine, from 1991. So it is possible to see how much changes city got, no wonder it looks like Central Europe city as Krakow, Vienna, or Prague, but everywhere you see Cyrillic letters and people with more Eastern European behavior.
Nowadays Lviv is a part of Western Ukraine, that always goes for democracy and Western way of life. I believe it is also an impact of history. Lviv is called as a cultural capital of Ukraine, as here you could find good quality university, popular Opera house, nice museums, people, who are for vivid Ukrainian culture (as examples could be numerous demonstrations in town or not every time a wish to communicate in Russian :) ).
It is really a place I wish to come back someday, also make some more day trips around, to try more of Ukrainian beer and cuisine.
- Pros:Rich architecture, nice people. good prices.
- Cons:Hard to communicate in Russian in some places.
- In a nutshell:Lviv - city of lions.
Metropolitan's palace is quite significant place in Lviv and stands just opposite the St. George Cathedral. Ukrainian... more travel advice
This park is one of the oldest and most beautiful in Lviv. The project was created Arnold Rering in 1876 - 1877, area... more travel advice
- See All Olesko - village with a castle
- See All Public transportation in Lviv
- See All City of lions
- See All Demonstrations
Raimix's Related Pages
Lviv Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Gateway to the West"
- "Lviv - The princely city of Western Ukraine"
- "Lviv - mix of Western look and Eastern behaviour"
- "City of Lions and Open Hearts"
- "Lviv - the city of the East and the West"
- "Lwow (Lviv) City of Lion and Dreams"
- "VAs in Lviv 2010"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lviv
- Hotels in Lviv
- Transportation in Lviv
- Nightlife in Lviv
- Restaurants in Lviv
- Shopping in Lviv
- Warnings and Dangers in Lviv
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lviv
- 52 Reviews
- 123 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Lviv?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lviv
- Posted in Travel Vilnius Forum "Re: On-line shopping"
- Commented on one of cachaseiro's Lviv travel pages
- updated a Lviv Travel Page "Lviv - mix of Western look and Eastern behaviour"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Lviv - mix of Western look and Eastern behaviour"
- Wrote a Review Metropolitan’s palace in Lviv Things to Do
Photos in LvivSee All Photos (123)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 80 reviews, 147 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 70 reviews, 133 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 70 reviews, 125 photos
- Berlin Intro, 59 reviews, 131 photos
- Europe Intro, 86 reviews, 89 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 55 reviews, 120 photos
- Vienna Intro, 54 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 52 reviews, 123 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 57 reviews, 104 photos
- Bratislava Intro, 42 reviews, 98 photos