"Lviv - mix of Western look and Eastern behaviour" Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv by Raimix

Lviv Travel Guide: 761 reviews and 2,466 photos

The wish to visit Western part of Ukraine was very big, but a few years I made excuses about it, visiting just other places and hardly finding convenient transportation to come to Lviv area. As for September 2012 I was amazed to see that direct buses from Vilnius go 2 times per week (not one, as always before), so immediately decided to come to this part of Ukraine. It was not whole week trip, I stayed here 5 days, 3 of them just for Lviv, 2 - for daytrips to Olesko and Zhovkva. Actually it looked fine to see most important things and at least a bit to feel the city.

Why I wanted to visit Lviv? Actually I was eager to see city, influenced by so many nations, also having some common history with Lithuania, Poland. What is more, I knew that place still not so much overcrowded by tourism and not so much expensive. I was happy to find nice hosts and also great hostel in Lviv for my stay.

Lviv city is quite old one, more than 750 years old. It was founded as a city of Galicia principality, by king Daniel. As his son was Lev, he named the city after him. For a long time (from 14th to almost end of 18th century) city belonged to Poland - Lithuania Commonwealth, later - to Austria till 1918. Later it was a part of Poland again, Soviet Union and finally Ukraine, from 1991. So it is possible to see how much changes city got, no wonder it looks like Central Europe city as Krakow, Vienna, or Prague, but everywhere you see Cyrillic letters and people with more Eastern European behavior.

Nowadays Lviv is a part of Western Ukraine, that always goes for democracy and Western way of life. I believe it is also an impact of history. Lviv is called as a cultural capital of Ukraine, as here you could find good quality university, popular Opera house, nice museums, people, who are for vivid Ukrainian culture (as examples could be numerous demonstrations in town or not every time a wish to communicate in Russian :) ).

It is really a place I wish to come back someday, also make some more day trips around, to try more of Ukrainian beer and cuisine.

• Pros:Rich architecture, nice people. good prices.
  • Cons:Hard to communicate in Russian in some places.
  • In a nutshell:Lviv - city of lions.
  • Last visit to Lviv: Sep 2012
  • Intro Updated Feb 17, 2013

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Hello, Raimundas! You have a great story here! You are an active traveller and manage to see lots of fine places...

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Glad to find myself in such a pleasant company of my friends who have already seen your page and who have been to Lviv even several times! I was lucky to visit Lviv in far 1969 and 1975 but never since then. Thank you Raimundas for bringing back memory about it and showing places I haven't seen yet.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Raimis, fabulous page with outstanding photos. - Your page brings back memories of my three visits of this lovely city. You saw quite a lot, even the citadel, which is indeed a bit hidden. We also once went on a daytrip to Zhovkva, but missed Oleko so far. - It is funny to see that it says "Good night" in German on the wall of your hostel room.

• bugulma's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2013 at 9:42 AM

very nice page. I would like to re-visit the city one day.... it seems I didn't see citadel.... besides i've read about folk architecture museum last year only... :-)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Lviv is a great city indeed...I would revisit with pleasure too...

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Would like to revisit some day...

Raimix

“Be creator, not destroyer ;)”

Badges & Stats in Lviv