"Augustow - city between lakes and channels" Augustow by Raimix
Augustow Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 54 photos
Augustow is Polish resort town, having about 30 thousand of population and mostly known due to Bialystok water channel and wild nature around.
Augustow name is based on King’s of Poland – Lithuania commonwealth Sigismundus Augustus name. Story tells, that is such way he wanted to commemorate his date with Barbora Radvilaite.
The place was firstly mentioned in 1496, after about half of century it got city rights. Till 1569 it belonged to Grand Duchy of Lithuania, but after its territory got interestingly separated – the town belonged to Poland, but town’s cemetery – to Lithuania.
17th century was very dramatic to city, as Tatars damaged the town, later plague lowered the population. Only in 19th century it got improvements – was as the main town of Polish region, construction of channel started and got railway connection.
- Pros:Augustow channel, nature.
- Cons:The town itself lacks interest.
- In a nutshell:Entrance to Polish lakes and channels.
When visiting Augustow we took a few hours trip by Augustow channel to Studziennicza and back. Actually this was a part... more travel advice
Suchowola is one of places, called as centre of Europe. Actually there are a few such centers – in Lithuania, Ukraine,... more travel advice
Raimix's Related Pages
Augustow Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Land of the forrest north-east Poland"
- "Augustow - city between lakes and channels"
- "Green city"
- "Teaching English in Augustow"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Augustow
- Hotels in Augustow
- Transportation in Augustow
- Restaurants in Augustow
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Augustow
- 8 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (70)
Have you been to Augustow?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Augustow
Photos in AugustowSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 80 reviews, 147 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 70 reviews, 133 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 70 reviews, 125 photos
- Berlin Intro, 59 reviews, 131 photos
- Europe Intro, 86 reviews, 89 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 55 reviews, 120 photos
- Vienna Intro, 54 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 52 reviews, 123 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 57 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bratislava Intro, 42 reviews, 98 photos