"Bialystok - town, based on Duke Gediminas legend" Top 5 Page for this destination Bialystok by Raimix
Bialystok Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 183 photos
I visited Bialystok on a trip to North – East Poland. It was two days trip made by Youth Tourism Centre workers, I got one reserved place :)
Bialystok is located in North – Eastern part of Poland, not so far from Byelorussian and Lithuanian borders. Bialystok name came from words “white slope” or “clean stream” Actually legends tells, that Lithuanian Grand Duke Gediminas (around 1320) stopped here to relax after journey and saw very clear river. Duke decided here to create a settlement and name it after the river. Actually the name of river nowadays is Biala.
Place is known from 1437, Grand duke of Lithuania Casimir IV Jagiellonian gave lands to Raczko Tabutowitz, later it passed to family of Wiesiolowski (1547) and finally to Branicki. In the 18th century thanks to Branicki family city got another appearance, with famous Baroque palace and park and privilege of city.
Bialystok and its region were frequently moving from one country reliance to the other one. After partition of Poland – Lithuania union, region belonged to Prussia, after a few years Russia rule was taken over by Russia. Actually from 1914 till 1945 Bialystok belonged to German occupational region, Belarus, Lithuania, and Poland. Place was known of cultural, religious, multinational mixture of Polish, Jews, Lithuanians, Byelorussians, Germans, Russians, Tartars. From 1941 till 1944 Nazis created ghetto here and killed huge number of Jews. Now most of about 300 000 population are Polish.
- Pros:Cozy, silent and beautiful central part.
- Cons:One day for visiting is enough, not much of old things left.
- In a nutshell:Nice short runaway from Lithuania :)
I was standing near the short decoration column, separating town hall square from the road and accidently found... more travel advice
Suchowola is one of places, called as centre of Europe. Actually there are a few such centers – in Lithuania, Ukraine,... more travel advice
Raimix's Related Pages
Bialystok Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bialystok - town, based on Duke Gediminas legend"
- "Bialystok poland"
- "sphynxxs's new Bialystok Page"
- "My city"
- "Masteve's Bialystok"
- "North East by Marcin"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bialystok
- Hotels in Bialystok
- Transportation in Bialystok
- Nightlife in Bialystok
- Restaurants in Bialystok
- Shopping in Bialystok
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bialystok
- 10 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (70)
Have you been to Bialystok?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bialystok
Photos in BialystokSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 80 reviews, 147 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 70 reviews, 133 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 70 reviews, 125 photos
- Berlin Intro, 59 reviews, 131 photos
- Europe Intro, 86 reviews, 89 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 55 reviews, 120 photos
- Vienna Intro, 54 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 52 reviews, 123 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 57 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bratislava Intro, 42 reviews, 98 photos