"Malbork - former capital of Teutonic Knights" Top 5 Page for this destination Malbork by Raimix
Malbork Travel Guide: 260 reviews and 507 photos
Malbork is a small town about 50 kilometers from Gdansk, so it could be easily reached my bus or train from main tri-city town. Actually this was one of the reasons I decided to visit it. One more reason was an interest to see capital and castle of Teutonic Order, which was like a rival to former capital of Grand Duchy of Lithuania - Trakai. Moreover, it is not just simple castle, but the one of factually biggest in Europe.
Despite Malbork small size, it once played a big role in history of medieval Europe. On the year of 1309 Grand Master Siegfried von Feuchtwangen moved the headquarters of Teutonic Order to Malbork, near bank of the river Nogat - this date symbolizes the foundation of new capital of Teutonic Order.
Malbork is the most popular because of huge medieval castle but place is not only place to see castle, but also has more monuments from older times – medieval town hall, gates, and nice looking red train station.
Actually one of purposes of moving capital more North is the spreading of Christianity to Baltic tribes, it was made having campaigns into their lands, called “crusades”, the same as it was made on the way to Jerusalem in 11th - 12th centuries.
At times of Teutonic Order Malbork was called “Marienburg”, for their patron, the Virgin Mary.
- Pros:Amazing castle.
- Cons:No tickets to castle museum for individuals, just excursions.
- In a nutshell:Nice daytrip from Gdansk to increase knowledge of history.
At first, how Lithuania is associated with Teutonic Order? The answer is simple – from 13th to 15th century Grand Duchy... more travel advice
I used both bus and train heading Malbork and going back. I should say using train was more comfortable, cheaper, not... more travel advice
Raimix's Related Pages
Malbork Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The world's largest medieval castle !"
- "Malbork - former capital of Teutonic Knights"
- "Funka, Malbork... (V)"
- "The Teutonic Castle of Marlbork"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Malbork
- Hotels in Malbork
- Transportation in Malbork
- Restaurants in Malbork
- Shopping in Malbork
- Warnings and Dangers in Malbork
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Malbork
- 8 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Malbork?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Malbork
Photos in MalborkSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 80 reviews, 147 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 70 reviews, 133 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 70 reviews, 125 photos
- Berlin Intro, 59 reviews, 131 photos
- Europe Intro, 86 reviews, 89 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 55 reviews, 120 photos
- Vienna Intro, 54 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 52 reviews, 123 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 57 reviews, 104 photos
- Bratislava Intro, 42 reviews, 98 photos