"Sejny - Lithuania's and Poland's border town" Sejny by Raimix
Sejny Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 67 photos
Sejny is a small town (about 6 thousand inhabitants), not so far from the border with Lithuania. Here about 17 percent of population is Lithuanians. City is known from 1522, from letters Poland – Lithuanian commonwealth King Sigismundus Augustus.
Town started to develop faster after appearance of Dominican monks. Thanks to them basilica of St. Mary, Dominican monastery (theological monastery nowadays), printing house, education institutions were established.
As our trip was to search for Lithuanian traces in Poland, here, in Sejny, there is Lithuanian “Ziburio” school, culture house, here in 1863 first Lithuanian publication was printed in this region, Sejny basilica was known for masses in Lithuanian and its bishop Antanas Baranauskas.
- Pros:Beautiful basilica site.
- Cons:Small town, not much to see.
- In a nutshell:Nice small town near border of Poland - Lithuania.
Small town of Punsk is about 16 kilometers from Sejny. It is place, where about 80 percents of Lithuanians life. Here... more travel advice
Theological college is located in former Dominican monastery. College for former priests was established in 1826, when... more travel advice
Raimix's Related Pages
Sejny Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sejny - a town on the borders"
- "Sejny - Lithuania's and Poland's border town"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sejny
- 4 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Sejny?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sejny
Photos in SejnySee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 80 reviews, 147 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 70 reviews, 133 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 70 reviews, 125 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 55 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 52 reviews, 123 photos
- Europe Intro, 81 reviews, 84 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 54 reviews, 96 photos
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 43 reviews, 77 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 48 reviews, 72 photos, 2 travelogues