"Birzai - town of noblemen Radziwili and beer" Birzai by Raimix
Birzai Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 43 photos
Birzai town is known from 1415 in documents of Poland – Lithuania Commonwealth king’s Jogaila visit. Birzai was ruled by famous noble family Radziwilli (Radvilos) from 16th century till 1804. At that time Birzai was strong defensive point in Northern Lithuania, mainly to stop attacks of Sweden, Russia. This time was Birzai castle construction and transformation to Dutch type bastion period.
Later, in 19th century noble family of Tiskeviciai got rights to rule Birzai. At second half of 19th century Astravas manor was built, nowadays existing Birzai churches were constructed.
Town underwent much destruction, mainly due to wars with Sweden. Nowadays it is still an interesting, picturesque town, also known as good quality beer producer in Lithuania.
- Pros:Interesting sights as a castle, wooden lake bridge and so on.
- Cons:Need much renovations, place looked too silent.
- In a nutshell:Capital of Lithuanian beer.
Birzai is also known about its location near artificial Sirvenos lake. Actually Sirvena lake appeared after stemming... more travel advice
Birzai was reached by stopping in Rokiskis, so a small wing was made just to see smaller towns (Vilnius – Anyksciai –... more travel advice
Raimix's Related Pages
Birzai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Birzai - town of noblemen Radziwili and beer"
- "Birzai. Culture and nature."
- "Birzai - North of Lithuania"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Birzai
- 17 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (70)
Have you been to Birzai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Birzai
Photos in BirzaiSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 80 reviews, 147 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 70 reviews, 133 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 70 reviews, 125 photos
- Berlin Intro, 59 reviews, 131 photos
- Europe Intro, 86 reviews, 89 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 55 reviews, 120 photos
- Vienna Intro, 54 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 52 reviews, 123 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 57 reviews, 104 photos
- Bratislava Intro, 42 reviews, 98 photos