"Grutas park - look into communism and Soviet Union" Grutas by Raimix
Grutas Travel Guide: 107 reviews and 170 photos
When coming to Druskininkai I have decided to visit Grutas park as well, it is only 7 kilometres from Druskininkai and comfortably reachable from Vilnius.
Grutas park official name is "Museum of Soviet sculptures", but there are not only sculptures, that were put in Lithuania territory before Soviet Union crash, but also small museum of Soviet stuff, Soviet style library and picture gallery, even small ZOO, playground for children, Soviet bar.
The park was opened in 2001, at April 1, day of liars :) I don't know why such a date was chosen, maybe it was such a sarcasm? Anyway, the information of objects in Grutas park is without any humour, it is like walking and reading book of history about Soviet Union and occupied Lithuania.
Despite of Lithuania law, that says "Communism and fascism stuff shouldn't be tolerated and showed in public", such park exits. I guess it is only one such park of Soviet sculptures in the World.
Grutas park lies on nice landscape, what is more, it is bordered by water and Gulag style watch towers. From these towers Soviet music is playing.
- Pros:Park makes feeling of going back to USSR
- Cons:For some people this park looks too much funny
- In a nutshell:Grutas - very good way to learn about Soviet Union style
Grutas - Druskininkai bus can take you near the gates of Grutas park. There is a bus stop as well, served by local (not... more travel advice
When walking in Grutas park I have seen the part of history of Lithuania, that for some people was good (especially who... more travel advice
Raimix's Related Pages
Grutas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Learn the truth about the Soviet Union"
- "Grutas park - look into communism and Soviet Union"
- "GRUTAS PARKAS"
- "Grutas, Lithuania"
- "Gruto Parkas"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Grutas
- Transportation in Grutas
- Restaurants in Grutas
- Shopping in Grutas
- Warnings and Dangers in Grutas
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Grutas
- 8 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (70)
Have you been to Grutas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grutas
Photos in GrutasSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 80 reviews, 147 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 70 reviews, 133 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 70 reviews, 125 photos
- Berlin Intro, 59 reviews, 131 photos
- Europe Intro, 86 reviews, 89 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 55 reviews, 120 photos
- Vienna Intro, 54 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 52 reviews, 123 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 57 reviews, 104 photos
- Bratislava Intro, 42 reviews, 98 photos