Liskiava Off The Beaten Path Tips by Raimix
Liskiava Off The Beaten Path: 3 reviews and 5 photos
Panara is a village between Merkine and Liskiava. The village is not important itself, but the monastery of Panara (a bit outside village, in forest) is interesting. It is modern monastery, working just for a few years, having new wooden church. The main works of Panara monks is to watch after and cure alcoholics (rehabilitation place) and cultivating of medicinal plants. Monks have modern house with solar cell, and it helps to dry plants. Later they pack a tea here that is on sale around Lithuania.
Panara is about 4 kilometers away from Liskiava.
Merkine is a small town surrounded by confluences of four rivers – longest river of Lithuania Nemunas, Merkys, Stange and Strauja. This place in mean of nature and strategic location was thankful to create here significant medieval city with wooden castle on mound.
Merkine was first mentioned in year of 1359 as a castle place. In 15th – 17th centuries it was among the most significant top 10 cities in Grand Duchy of Lithuania. Place is interesting for historical spots and great view from Merkine mound.
Merkine is about 21 kilometers away from Liskiavia.
For further information watch my Merkine VirtualTourist page.
The name of Druskininkai has come from word "druskininkas", that means "salt-man". The name of this city was firstly mentioned in 1596. Before that time there was a medieval castle to fight against Teutonic Order. In 1837 Druskininkai got the name of the spa due to mineral waters.
Town centre is between Nemunas river and Druskonis lake, where nice biking routes are made. What is more, it is hard not to see that there ar so much parks and forests around and different looking sanatoriums - some left from Polish occupation time between First and Second World Wars, some from Soviet times and some are more modern, built recently.
Raimix's Related Pages
Liskiava Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Coldstream Hotels
- Mumbai Hotels
- Los Angeles Hotels
- Edisto Beach
- New York City
- Murrieta Hot Springs Hotels
- Santa Barbara Hotels
- Guam Hotels
- Hallstatt Hotels
Badges & Stats in Liskiava
- 7 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Liskiava?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Liskiava
Photos in LiskiavaSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 80 reviews, 147 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 70 reviews, 133 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 70 reviews, 125 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 55 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 52 reviews, 123 photos
- Europe Intro, 81 reviews, 84 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 54 reviews, 96 photos
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 43 reviews, 77 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 48 reviews, 72 photos, 2 travelogues