"Merkine - the city of Merkys and Nemunas" Merkine by Raimix
Merkine Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 24 photos
Merkine is a small town surrounded by confluences of four rivers – longest river of Lithuania Nemunas, Merkys, Stange and Strauja. This place in mean of nature and strategic location was thankful to create here significant medieval city with wooden castle on mound.
Merkine was first mentioned in year of 1359 as a castle place. In 15th – 17th centuries it was among the most significant top 10 cities in Grand Duchy of Lithuania. The place was known not only as strong defensive spot, but also as popular town for Grand dukes and kings to stay for hunting around.
- Pros:Picturesque and cozy place.
- Cons:Small, better to combine with visiting other places around.
- In a nutshell:Peace of Lithuanian history.
The name of Druskininkai has come from word "druskininkas", that means "salt-man". The name of this city was firstly... more travel advice
Marcinkonys, the village of Dzukija national parks, is one of the biggest in Lithuania. The first locals here were... more travel advice
Raimix's Related Pages
Merkine Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Merkine - the city of Merkys and Nemunas"
- "Exploring the sleepy countryside of the Deep South"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Merkine
- 8 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Merkine?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Merkine
Photos in MerkineSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 80 reviews, 147 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 70 reviews, 133 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 70 reviews, 125 photos
- Berlin Intro, 59 reviews, 131 photos
- Europe Intro, 86 reviews, 89 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 55 reviews, 120 photos
- Vienna Intro, 54 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 52 reviews, 123 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 57 reviews, 104 photos
- Bratislava Intro, 42 reviews, 98 photos