"Vilnius - mix of cultures" Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius by Raimix
Vilnius Travel Guide: 1,754 reviews and 3,606 photos
Mix of cultures - it is nice to say about Vilnius like about cosmopolitan city in mostly all history of this town. Lithuanian, Polish, Russian, Jewish and other cultural influences shaped this town and it can be seen from Vilnius old town's architecture and population, where only about 55% of people are Lithuanians, differently from other places of Lithuania.
It's hard to introduce Vilnius with two - three words. It is just beautiful: unique old town with beautiful churches, castle, river Neris and much more to see.
In the 5th century, a wooden castle occupied a site overlooking the junction of Neris and Vilna rivers. By the 13th century, a town had grown up beside the protective walls of the castle. The first written mention of Vilnius was in 1323 by the founder of the city, Grand Duke Gediminas.
I hope Vilnius is going to be the main town of North-East Europe, because it shows a lot of attempts to do this purpose.
I am always trying to update this page by new things I experienced in my home town - Vilnius is changing so fast, that sometimes I feel like tourist in city I live for 25 years.
It takes lot of time to explore old part of Vilnius, because of this old town is one of the biggest in Europe.
What is more, Vilnius sometimes is called "baroque town" due to lot of baroque architecture in old part of town. It is not really right phrase, it seems architecture is much more different - there are Gothic, Renaissance, classicism and more styles too for exploring. The real example of mixed architecture can be Vilnius University, working from the year of 1579.
Vilnius historical centre (old town) was included to UNESCO World Heritage list in the year of 1994.
The most fascinating trip in Vilnius is a trip of all churches in old town and not only there. The styles of churches ranging from Gothic to classicism makes special feeling and broadens the knowledge of architecture.
Lithuania is the only Catholic country of three Baltic countries and the Catholicism especially is highlighted by the great number of old churches in Vilnius.
- Pros:Beautiful city and nice people.
- Cons:Some ugly sovietic micro-regions, crowd of cars.
- In a nutshell:Go and see the all main architecture styles of Europe in Vilnius!
It is one of Vegetarian food restaurants, I even dont know if there are more vegetarian restaurants in Vilnius. The... more travel advice
- See All Traku Voke palace
- See All Photography - sometimes is difficult
- See All Minibuses - fast trip around Vilnius
- See All Big shop near river Neris
- See All To go for a dance :)
Raimix's Related Pages
Vilnius Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Very friendly, very historical and inexpensive :-)"
- "Vilnius - City of Churches"
- "Vilnius - mix of cultures"
- "The Wonderful Vilnius"
- "Vilnius - my grandparents' love"
- "One of my Favourite Cities"
- "THREE CAPITALS IN FIVE DAYS"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vilnius
- Hotels in Vilnius
- Transportation in Vilnius
- Nightlife in Vilnius
- Restaurants in Vilnius
- Shopping in Vilnius
- Warnings and Dangers in Vilnius
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vilnius
- 70 Reviews
- 133 Photos
- 15 Forum posts
- 93 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (70)
Have you been to Vilnius?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vilnius
Photos in VilniusSee All Photos (133)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 80 reviews, 147 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 70 reviews, 133 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 70 reviews, 125 photos
- Berlin Intro, 59 reviews, 131 photos
- Europe Intro, 86 reviews, 89 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 55 reviews, 120 photos
- Vienna Intro, 54 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 52 reviews, 123 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 57 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bratislava Intro, 42 reviews, 98 photos